Pro Speaker Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GyroFX, May 13, 2002.

1. GyroFX macrumors 6502

how come the apple pro speakers sound so weak compared to my old 5 watts per channel 2.1 sys.??? Will the sound change if i were to add an iSub?...seems like my old speakers were amplified and hooked into the sub. Does this also hold true for the iSub?I was just wondering...and if adding it will help the output quality, cuz the current Pro Speakers suck **** as stand alones.....:(

2. resm macrumors 6502

pro speakers....more minus then pro

this is an issue that has been brought up before but will pup up once in a while again because I think many people who get to hear them for the first time are disappointed.

my advice.....forget about them (that's what I did) and buy a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers with woofer and you will be for ever happy :)

they have a fantastic sound performance and are not expensive.

do not waste money to add an iSub because it will still not give you the bass level you are looking for.

3. Ouroboros macrumors member

One peeve I have about the iSub and Soundsticks is that there's no headphone jack! That's something I use all the time (otherwise I'd wake my girlfriend all the time from listening to music late at night!!)

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

The good thing about the SoundSticks is that they are very accurate, as well as being quite loud.

I would love to get some Pro Speakers just because they look cool!

Ensign

5. iGav macrumors G3

I've got the soundsticks and the iSub on my TiBook, and I'm more than happy with them, relatively loud, good level of bass.....

And they're simply cool looking..... especially the iSub, which is one of my favourite pieces of industrial product design ever.....

Oh then there's the blue light inside the iSub, that when it is cleaned and polished up, emits eerie reflections inside......

Oh add the iSub, as it makes the sound superb..... :D

My opinion!!:D ;)

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Similar setup here, I have the sound sticks on one of my Powerbooks and for my kind of music (cross between Jazz, Rock and Electronica) they sound great. I have a friend who is into contempory classical music (http://colinrose.net/music.html) who listened to his kind of music on my computer and he said for him they sounded great as well :)

Ensign

7. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I agree that the Pro Speakers aren't the best out there - although the "cool" factor goes a long way! However, be warned that some people (including myself) haven't had that great of luck with the iSub - the sound is great while it works, but after a few hours the sub starts "crackling" and it's all over. I tried two (thinking the first was just a lemon) with the same results; the folks at the Apple store said it's a "known issue." Heh.

I've hooked my Boze Waveradio up to my imac and the sound is SWEET. I kept my Pro Speakers sitting on the desk though, because everyone who comes in is amazed by how cool they look. :D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'm siding with resm here... I have a set of the Cambridge Soundworks speakers on my computer at home, and they rock. I picked up the middle set (didn't think I needed the top end set at the time) and love them. The subwoofer is powerfull enough to send the base down to the apartment below me and keep my neighbor up. :D That was when I was playing a game too, not music. I have the larger set begging to be setup, which I will most likey be doing soon, since I want them on the game peecee to hear the wonderful sounds of killing. :D

For the money, you can't beat the Cambridge SoundWorks speakers...

9. iGav macrumors G3

I had a similar thing once, although it only ever started after I ran Norton Disk Doctor on my machine, tried many things, and in the end dropped my Apple Audio Extension back down to OS9.1 and have been fine ever since.... never experienced a problem in OSX though......

Hey ensign, the soundsticks and isub are blinding for jazz, rock and electronica...... a sound taste in music you've got there!! ;) hey what about ferrari, schumi and rubens on sunday........:p

And Alpha, long time no speak...... how you getting on with the new TiBook?? hopefully you'll be free of those problems that you were blessed with on the Rev A one.......

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Yeah, the only thing with the new one is that I have a bright pixel anomaly on the screen (one pixel showing white). That is well within Apple's spec.'s though. It's just a pin hole on the screen that shows up more on dark backgrounds, like when I'm running around in UT killin everyone (dead bodies everywhere :D). I still have more games to install onto the TiBook, but if UT is any kind of example, I will be blasting away for many months to come. When games start coming out that don't perform as well any longer, I will be looking to upgrade again.

It's a vicious cycle... but one that I enjoy. Now all I need to do is get that external enclosure for my 60GB IBM 2.5" hard drive. Then I will have 90GB in small external drives with another 40GB in a large enclosure (all FireWire), for a whopping 170GB total... I can always add more later when I 'need' to. :D

11. GyroFX thread starter macrumors 6502

i have no idea about this sound thing...haha I have the old CyberAcoustic Speakers complimenting the iMacs back in 1999. Remeber those?...the ones where you can interchange the colored covers to match the iMacs. I just hope the Pro Speakers with the iSub is better than the ones i have (which it should because it is more powerful-at least i hope). The ones i have are 25 watts total, 5+5+15. It sounds pretty loud... I don't know...maybe i should just get the iSub to compliment the Pro Speakers as well as my G4. Hopefully that'll justify it. Just tell me that the Pro speakers and iSub will be better than what i have right now and I'll be happy....haha. Thanx
    CXL

12. Quark macrumors regular

Pro Speakers & iSub - including fix

I have both the Pro Speakers and the iSub. I am a home theater/audio aficionado and I know from first hand experience that this combination is greatly underrated and misunderstood by the general public.

Get the iSub and be done with it. You'll love the sound, save a little money and it does look cool -- although I keep mine hiden on the floor below the desk.

The "crackling" that people are commenting about is not the fault of the iSub itself, but rather the iSub's USB connector.

If you hear "crackling" coming from the iSub, do the following:
    1. unplug the iSub USB cable
    2. turn down the outgoing volume from your computer
    3. plug the iSub USB cable back into the computer
    4. turn up the volume of the computer, to the level that you like

This will correct the crackling, if it occurs. What is happening is that the wiring doesn't get as good a connection as it needs and it may need to be reseated (unplugged/plugged) a few times before the cables get "burned in".

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
    Quark

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would assume that Cambridge Soundworks would work extremely well compared to other speakers. My dad owns a stereo store and, right off the bat, he can tell you (and he has told me) that the Pro Speakers/iSub are all right when compared to PSB, Cambridge, or other brands. If I let my dad start posting here about the best speakers and/or subwoofers, he could type all day. That is mostly because he barely makes 15wpm. :)

So, Alphatech, resm, you guys recommend Cambridge Soundworks. What model of speakers and subwoofer do you have/recommend that are compact and easy to plug in to the Cube, while generating high quality sound so that I could wake up my whole town of some 7000 people?

Any time is a great time for iPod.

14. resm macrumors 6502

Cambridge Soundworks Speakers

reply to King Cobra

all I can tell you is what's written on the box and speakers.
    I can't even find a model number.

here it goes:

Cambridge Soundworks Digital
    Satelite Power : 8 watts RMS per satellite
    Subwoofer Power : 24 watts RMS
    Frequency Response 30 Hz to 20kHz
    S/N Ratio : 80dB 'A' weighted

specs look small but Sound is big :)

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Cambridge Soundworks Speakers

From what I understand, the watt ratings of the system are the minimum they put out. Where most other speakers list the maximum they will ever put out. Which is why they sound so big for the numbers.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i have Altec Lansing speakers on my PC and they are awesome! i got them for $100 and they are only 2 little desktop speakers and a sub, but they make obscene levels of noise. for my next speakers i'm thinking of gettng a pair of the new TDK speakers. i'm going to go and have a look at them this weekend.