Pro Speaker woes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iindigo, Jun 23, 2004.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well, my new iMac has been simply grand since the day I bought it, but just yesterday something happened - The little prong in my Pro Speakers' plug simply broke off. I can no longer plug them in, and I'm stuck with my iMac's internal speaker (ugh).

So I called AppleCare today, and turns out they can't replace them, but however can repair them if I take them to the nearest authorized repair place. I would do that, but there's a problem with that - the nearest place is over 90 miles away.

Is there some way I can fix this myself? I remember reading somewhere that you could cut off the minijack and then wire up a regular headphone/speaker jack to it... Is this true? And if not, is there any hope at all for my little crystal orbs?

Thanks!
    iindigo

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

ask them to send you a box and get them to fix it. they will prob charge but it saves u time and money

3. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Another case of AppleDare

What's the point of AppleCare when AppleDon'tCare ?
    If you bought extended warrenty from any other company (that i'm aware of), you'd get an exchange on the item ASAP, that's one of the major differences between that and factory warrenty, so much for paying a huge premium on AppleCare.
    But i guess you'd have to, for products that breaks more often than an old person's bones.

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Well, I don't really know but here's how you could find out:

Hold up the plugs side by side. If all the metal parts and plastic parts on the plug match up, they your good to go. Now all you have to do is wire together two wires about as big as a cat's whisker, without getting any shorts in it.

Have fun!

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

The connector for the Apple Pro speajer is very brittle and easy to break. I broke the actual port by just umplugging it. Apple doesnt let you send it to them thru mail. You actually have to go to an Apple store or to a dealer. Which sucks.

You cant cut off plug because the pro speaker connector actually supplies electricity to applify the speakers.

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Apple is great about repairning things (even without AppleCare) through mail. My Airport Extreme Base got messed up, and they overnighted me a new one.. I was back online the next day for no charge. They'll only have to take your credit card number for a safety deposit.

7. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

What I don't get is why they don't have an cross shipping exchange policy. As someone metioned, a number of companies will give you the option of exchange or ship back for repair. I've exchanged my Sony LCDs 3 times, all w/o costing me a penny. They ship me a refurbished unit w/ 2-day fedex, I package the ill LCD in the same box the replacement unit came in, slap on the pre-paid 2-day fedex label, call fedex for pick-up. Done.

8. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

send it out for something else than while its there they have to fix that problem

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Sigh...Once you "accidentaly damage" the computer the motherboard's warranty is voided...sigh..i hate this part of apple