Pro Tools and OSX slow interface

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by route14, Mar 23, 2007.

1. route14 macrumors newbie

Maybe this is just me and I'm crazy but here is my story.

I've been a PC user for most of my life and have been using Pro Tools for about 3 years. I am an IT professional for 8 years now so I know a PC inside and out and can find my way around a Mac.

People used to tell me all the time that PTLE runs better on a Mac. Do others feel this way or was this maybe a perception from when PT was new to Windows platforms?

My real question is this... I decided to by a Mac and test this theory out. I'm a personal PTLE user so I didn't need anything over the top so I got a Macbook 2.0 Core 2 Duo with 1g ram. The machine is performing fine but for the life of me I feel like the interface is real stiff for me. I felt so much quicker on a PC WHILE USING PRO TOOLS. Now I know there is a learning curve involved with using new hardware but this is something different. When I'm using PT I feel like the response of the OSX interface (GUI) is slow. Even when I set all the peripherals to the fastest settings. I get the same feeling when I use other programs or browse the net but the PT performance is something I can use as a bookmark since I've used the program in both platforms.

Am I missing something? Is it really me? Or maybe the MacBook built in Intel Graphics card is just crappy? Ideas? Maybe this question is better suited for a general forum...

thx!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i used to run PTLE on os9. when i switched to osx, the GUI was indeed not as responsive.

that was several years ago, so i've either gotten used to it, or (more likely) with newer versions of PT and osx, plus faster hardware, it feels fine to me now.

3. route14 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input.

I should have put this in the original post but I'm using PTLE 7.1.1 and a digi002? The Firewire connection was another reason I thought the Mac would better suit me.

What are you using and is your Mac Intel based?

I feel like it's not protools so much as how the GUI handles. Like driving a new car I guess. I just hope I get used to it soon cause it's driving me crazy.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm using a digi002r, PTLE 7.0, and a dual g5 2.0 GHz w/ 2 meg RAM.

5. cschreppel macrumors regular

I'm using a Core Duo MacBook 2GHz 2GB RAM w/ a Digi002 console. Things run pretty smoothly for me. When I start getting a huge plugin count, I notice a bit of lag...mostly with the meters.

6. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

I've heard this too. Yeah. maybe b/c Pro Tools was originally mac only when it first came out. I think Pro Tools can be a resource hog on your machine though, depending on how big of a session you are doing.

The lag could be that it's running on a notebook hard drive. No matter what the rpms of a notebook drive, they just cannot get the same I/O-read/write rates of a desktop drive.

7. The General macrumors 601

Well no wonder it's slow to respond ... only 2 megs of RAM! :p

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

doh!!!!!!!! :)

actually, i should have been more clear earlier: when i switched from os9 to osx, the machine was a dual g4 500 MHz w/ 1 gig RAM. that's where i noticed the slowdown.

now i'm off to crucial to bump up that 2 meg :)