Pro Tools for Intel Macs now available

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 4God, May 30, 2006.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Pro Tools LE and M-Powered now updated to 7.1.1 according to digidesign's site:

May 30, 2006: Intel-based Apple iMac, Mac mini, and MacBook Pro Now Supported

Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 and Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Mac OS X for Intel add compatibility with the new Apple iMac, Mac mini, and MacBook Pro models with Intel Core Duo or Intel Core Solo processors (testing is in progress with the recently released MacBook models)
    Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 & Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Intel-based Macs are free downloads for all Pro Tools LE 7.x and Pro Tools M-Powered owners
    For more information, please see the following page:
    Pro Tools 7.1.1 Updates & Optional Downloads (now available for all Pro Tools M-Powered and Pro Tools LE 7.0/7.1 owners)

I just downloaded the free update = 125MB.

2. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

I was going to post the same thing.
    Anyway not all the plug-ins are ready, the pro-tools ignition pack, is not universal yet.

3. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, but I was excited to hear about the release. I've only had to go about 8 or 9 days without it since I sold my Quad.

I'm just glad to be at home again. :D

4. Bobby Garcia macrumors newbie

Bobby Garcia

I was getting worried

I've had the MBOX 2 in my possession since April 13 and this must have been the longest month and 3 weeks of my life. But, they delivered just as they said they would in May.

Now, we all just have to wait for the ignition pack to be compatible.

So, exactly what is an iLock key? This is my 1st time owning a ProTools system for Mac.

5. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

The iLok key is a USB hardware key to limit piracy. This is where the serial verifier is contained
    and most newer versions need it to function.There is also a software version that works with LE.
    If I remember correctly, the M-Powered version requires the hardware version.

6. Bobby Garcia macrumors newbie

Bobby Garcia

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Second question, Do you know if the MBOX 2 w/ ignition pack is supposed to contain an iLok key?

7. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

I believe the MBox2 comes with Pro Tools LE. Usually, that version comes with the
    iLok software that just asks you for a serial number. If not, you can go to the web
    site and purchase an iLok separately.

Go to digidesign.com/compato for more info.

8. CommodityFetish macrumors regular

CommodityFetish

Good news

This is good news. Maybe it's time to get that Mbox 2...

:)

9. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Yes, and by the way, Pro Tools on my Intel iMac works like a dream. Very smooth and responsive. :D

10. LifeCoach macrumors member

Great news! I think i'm going for the m audio firewire 410 + pro tools m powered. Hope it's as great a combo as I hope it's gonna be.:)

11. Smyles macrumors newbie

Nice one!

Nice one buddy, Thanks for the update!

12. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

What system (computer) will you be using it with?

13. Bobby Garcia macrumors newbie

Bobby Garcia

iLok Key

I did some research and the iLok USB dongle only comes with the MBox 2 Factory bundle, and I bought the regular version with the ignition pack. Thanks for the info 4God, I will be purchasing an iLok soon to unlock the Mbox 2 vocal plug-ins.

I concur that ProTools runs smoothly on Intel, and processes effects quickly.

I think one point that I'd like to bring up, however, is that I don't think it will be possible to edit sessions "on-the-fly" since the MBox hardware must be connected for ProTools to open. I hope I'm wrong and someone knows a way around this.

14. LifeCoach macrumors member

macbook 1.83, 2 gigs of ram.

I'll be getting an external HD for audio so does anyone know if i can daisy chain the m audio 410 and the HD? sorry if thats a stupid question:confused:

15. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, you must have the MBox connected to open and run Pro Tools LE. The good news is that if you're using a portable, you can easily take it with you and it doesn't take up a lot of space on those tables at Starbucks. :D

16. 4God thread starter macrumors 68020

4God

Daisy chaining can be done, but is not recommended for best results. Belkin recently announced a new Firewire and USB hub that would be perfect for your situation. I'll try and find the part number online for you.

Edit: It's a little different than I thought, but it will do. It has 6 firewire ports and can be self powered or bus powered.
    Link: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=196166