Pro Tools + Mbox don't work - ALTERNATIVES?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammyman, May 21, 2005.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2005
    I just found out that pro tools is not compatible with tiger. I have the Mbox version 6.2 LE and now am wondering if I should switch to garageband. I basically only use reverb, compressor, and a normalizer to record. I like recording with 2 tracks though. Should I buy a different input device that is compatible for tiger and just uses garageband (I am not familiar with this program) or wait FOREVER for digidesign to make something happen with tiger.

Also, since I have 6.2, is there any way to get an update for tiger when it does come out?
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    The M-box works with Garageband, so keep it and wait for Digi to get it's lazy, arrogant act in gear.

GB is dead easy to use as a recorder, but you'll miss the editing functions.

As for updates, you'll have to buy whatever version the Tiger-compatible Protools turns out to be.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You didn't post what type of a Mac you have. The answer may be different if you have a Powerbook vs. a tower.

The obvious answer is: People doing anything that relies on specific software (such as audio, professional graphics, video, scientific) should not adopt any new operating system until their key software is fully tested and compatible.

So if you already have a Mac on Panther, DON'T install Tiger yet.

This presents more of a problem for those who wish to buy a new Mac, when all new Macs come preinstalled with Tiger. There is a limited opportunity to buy remaining stock of older machines when the new OS gets bundled (that's what I did for some clients on ProTools). Beyond that, you're faced with reinstalling the older OS or waiting until the applications are upgraded.

> Should I buy a different input device and just uses garageband?

Depends how much time and effort you have into ProTools. If you're a newbie, then you can make the switch and it'll just cost some money ($300 - $1000). If you have been using ProTools a lot, you may be aggravated by the differences. You are not going to be able to open ProTools projects in another program, you'd have to export and import the tracks.

> Also, since I have 6.2, is there any way to get an update for tiger when it does come out?

You'll have to ask Digidesign for their policies. Past upgrades of ProTools have been in the order of US$75
  4. awickedtrack macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2008
    hardware issue

my version of pro tools 6.4 worked properly for a while when i tried to reinstall it at some point i get an error saying "digi design hardware is in use by another application" it sounds pretty simple to change the device or drivers in all audio programs but im not sure which program it might be being used by has anyone gotten this message and know how to fix it?
    any help will be appreciated.