Prob. WCIII Bnet

Discussion in 'Games' started by Gymnut, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Wondering if anyone has encountered this problem while playing WCIII Frozen Throne/Reign of Chaos on Battlenet. I've been trying to play with a buddy of mine but for some reason, we each cannot join each others games yet can join other ppl's games. Whenever we try to join, the available games list grays out and it seems that battlenet is trying to search for the game. The odd thing is I can see the game name, my friend as the creator, the type of map he chose yet after about a minute of searching and not being able to cancel, Bnet gives me an error message indicating that the game cannot be found or I may have misspelt the game name which is bogus since the game is clearly staring me right in the face. I've played with another friend who's a pc user(unfortunately) and he was using dialup and there were no problems. Currently both of us are using routers to splice our cable connections so I'm beginning to think this is the root of the problem. I've turned off the built in firewall in the System Pref and we've changed the port numbers in the options>gameplay portion of WCIII but to no avail. Anyone had this problem? Ideas?

Note: I'm using a Dual 1Ghz MDD with a Linksy Router and friend is using his sisters peecee w/router and we live approx. 30 mi. apart and are not sharing the same internet connection.

2. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

The issue is the ports are not opened in order to allow you or your friend to host. Joining a game does not require any ports to be opened, but hosting does.

Blizzard has a support article about this issue:

http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=msi0445p

Simple solution is to open TCP traffic on port 6112.

3. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

yes, you need to open the ports on your reuter.. I have had that same problem before also.

4. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Okay, I'm at my wits end with this. I've scoured all over Linksys crappy support site and found something where "Games over the Router. If playing games like Quake or Battle.net, port 27960 must be opened in the router's advanced feature. Refer to the manual and the help button on the router on how to open ports." Okay, that's fine and dandy so since Linksys doesn't provide any setup software for the Macintosh platform, you're relegated to visit their default site: http://192.168.1 to setup your router. Coincidently, Linksys indicates to refer to your user manual for instructions to opening ports which is not even covered. What a half ass company, I suggest to anyone looking for a router to look elsewhere than this piss poor company. I appreicate the suggestions to opening the ports on the router, but a little more information then one sentence would be much more appreciated.

5. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

: Puts on networking hat:

Ok, so first visit your routers web site at http://192.168.1.1/. If this doesn't work, well then I don't know what to tell you. However, I'm going to assume that this does work AND you know the password to log in.

After logging in, click the "Advanced" tab in the top left corner. Then click the "Forwarding" tab. This is where you'll store the information about what ports to open. I'm going to show what I have for b.net and some of these may not apply to Wc3 directly.

Under "Customized Applications" make 3 names for the Battle.Net ports. I personally have BattleNet typed in 3 different rows as you'll need to open 3 ports.

Next, under "Ext.Port" enter in 6112 to 6112 for the first set. The next set is 4000 to 4000 and the third is 27960 to 27960.

If we pause for a moment you should have 3 different rows, each one with a name of BattleNet with each one having a different port opened. Correct? Ok good.

Next, for each row check the box under "Protocol TCP" and "Protocol UDP". Easy enough.

Under "IP Address", for each row you'll enter in your gaming machines local IP address. So, for example, if your gaming machines (the one in which you will play Wc3 one) has a local IP of 192.168.1.230, you'd enter 230 into each row. If the IP is 62.123.3.222, that is not you local IP and you'll need to find it by looking under Network in System Preferences.

The last step is under "Enable" make sure the box is checked for all three rows. After everything is done, click the "Apply" button to make sure these changes are set on the router.

Now, go test it out and report back!

: Takes hat off :

6. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Hey thanks ChronoIMG for the lenghty post. I'm at work now so when I get home I'll be sure to try it. I think I'll start a thread in regards to shoddy Macintosh support for products claiming to be dual platform.

I was able to get onto the default page by typing in my name and the pword: admin. So the tips provided by you above should work. I was just dumbfounded as to where do I input the 6113 etc. in that dizzying array of menus.

7. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Not a problem. Glad to help out a fellow Warcraft 3 player anytime :)

Let me know how it goes.