Probability of merom in Macbook NOW, or just MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JMies419, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. JMies419 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    #1
    Well I am pretty sure I have decided to stick with the macbook over the macbook pro. I think the macbook pro may be overkill as I dont think I need THAT much portable power. My question is, do you guys think we will see a macbook pro AND macbook merom upgrade very soon? Or just a macbook pro upgrade? I dont want to wait anymore..I neeeeeed my first mac, its killin me! :eek:
     
  2. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #2
    Just buy it. Dont be a procrastinator like me if you need it now get it now. More likely to be in MBPs than MBs anyway.
     
  3. n8236 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #3
    Just wait till the new chips are announced, it's anytime now. It' reported to be 15-22% faster.
     
  4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #4
    Likely but unlikely to be in the MBs.
     
  5. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    #5
    Everyone knows the story. If I ordered a macbook within the next few days, and a week down the road they were reintroduced with the merom in them..for the same price..:mad: I will probably hold off until around the time the ipod deal ends, if no merom macbook by then, oh well. I will buy.
     
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #6
    For all we know, Apple will upgrade the mini's and the iMacs and wait till
    after the holidays for special surprises on their note books.

    I think the MacBooks will get the faster Yonah from the current MBP and the MBP
    will get a faster Merom processor.

    The iMacs could get either Conroe or Woodcrest Core Duo 2's depending on heat.

    The mini's will probably all be Core Duo.

    FKIFIKNOW.
     
  7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #7
    You mean Conroe or Merom for the iMac right? A Woodcrest logic board would be too expensive in an iMac. And I'm betting on the Mini getting Merom.
     
  8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
  9. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #9
    One of these days, I think we'll see a 23" iMac Single Core Duo 2.
    If Woodcrest runs at a lower temperature than a G5, I'm sure
    Apple could figure out a way to retool the motherboard to fit.

    I want a Santa Rosa, Leopard powered MacBook and we'll probably see one soon,
    but if i really need a new computer now, I'd try to hold for Meroms.
     
  10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #10
    Leopard isnt due until Spring so it will be a little while :) Well Autumn for me. I'm hoping someone will purchase Leopard for me as a graduation present :D
     
  11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #11
    Me again. Woodcrest only generates a wee bit more heat than Conroe, but as I said it would be pointless putting a server chip in the iMac because of logic board costs.
     
  12. fewture macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2006
    #12
    Wait for Merom!

    Merom will be Macbooks at same time as MBP (that rumour has already been around). If you don't believe the rumour, you just need to remember that everyone else (Dell, Sony, HP etc) have already released small laptops (12" to 14") with Merom today so to keep all its nice Macbook sales, Apple will have to add Merom to the Macbook asap to keep its sales.

    Makes sense, don't know why everyone has been whining that the Macbook wouldn't get Merom for some time. Obviously Apple believed that the Macbook was different enough from the MBP when they originally brought out the Core Duo Macbook (which was the same processor as the MBP). Like everyone has been pointing out, Apple must have the latest tech now they are in the Intel arena. Unless they add a smaller MBP then Macbooks aren't just Apple's cheapest notebook, they are also Apple's smallest notebook, and so Apple needs the latest tech in them.

    Wait for MB Merom - a few weeks and you will have a better CPU with better resale value.

    Here is a current list of what laptops have been launched with Merom:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3135&article=Core+2+Duo+Notebooks
     
  13. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #13
    The next iMac processor probably will be Conroe, but as time goes on, and production prices fall, I think we could still see Woodcrest single Core Duo 2's
    in the iMacs.

    Or...... Apple will ride on the Conroes for consumer products until Intel goes 45 nm.
     
  14. sulhaq macrumors regular

    sulhaq

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    #14
    Just wait for Merom. The MacBooks are buggy as hell anyways. I know I know 80% of them work fine but 20% is a pretty big fricking piece of the pie, and like me if you get 2 replacements both of which belong to the defective 20% portion you'll be pissed! Believe me after using OSX going back to windows just makes me wanna cry, but I'm still waiting for Merom because of the damned bugged up systems.
     
  15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #15
    And theres a guarantee that meroms wont also be "bugged up" as well? Lots of people with Rev As have perefectly good systems. If you purchase the product at the beginning of the cycle you are more likely to have issues than if you buy it closer to the end.
     
  16. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    #16
    From the looks of that link..it seems that EVERYONE else has released Core duo 2...come on apple..
     
  17. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #17
    What are the odds that the Apple will refresh all of their lines at once?

    We have reports that the mini will be refreshed. Chronologically, the imac should be refreshed next. Do you think apple would be able to updates these and still do the mbp and/or mb?
     
  18. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #18
    I will bet you none of the consumer class computers will get a upgrade until after the school rebate is over.
     
  19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #19
    I would bet my bottom dollar on it too. It doesn't make sense to me to release a new product with the deal more likely to get rid of the older stock.
     
  20. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #20
    If you are looking to buy an imac, macbook or mac mini ask yourself this question is 179 dollars worth the few seconds of faster boot time?? If you answer yes then you should wait if not buy the damn machine already if you sell the ipod you are getting a freakin amazing deal.
     
  21. mini.boss macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #21
    Thats rediculous. Merom doesnt only offer a tiny speed boost, it futureproofs your purchase for a few more months/years because you are now 64bit. Not to mention the revisionB hardware that comes with it which may result in less heat/problems.

    Seriously, why are some mac people so into making sure apple squeezes every dollar out of us rather than us getting the best deal.
     
  22. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #22
    Everyone keeps saying it will futureproof your purchase. They are backwards compatible so it wont make a difference (Well depending on what you do) And the Rev A products that are coming out now seem to have the moo/whine eliminated from them. Who's to say that there wont be problems in the Rev B?
     
  23. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #23
    Rev B won't have problems that a Rev A didn't, because Rev B is the same hardware, just upgraded. A Rev B may have some of the same problems, but new problems - no. The Macbooks had so many problems because they were completely new, the merom MBs will not be completely new. I think you're confusing "rev B" with being a new line.. if it were, it would be Rev A in its own right.. instead, it's "B" for a reason.
     
  24. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #24
    I also think it is better to wait a month or two before buying MBP or MB as it seems the chip upgrade is likely in the near future if not next week. I don't think Merom could not be worse than what the current chips MBP/MB has. If the current problems are move onto Merom units, then, at least you would be getting faster/more battery efficient one to compensate you for the buggy-ness.
     
  25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #25
    It is likely that I am confused :D
     

Share This Page