Probably a stretch....

Discussion in 'Games' started by nurdc0re, Apr 22, 2006.

1. nurdc0re macrumors newbie

Apr 22, 2006
    I have been looking into getting World of Warcraft, and I am wondering how well my current hardware would run it. Currently the system requirements would be:

Meanwhile, the system I have to run it on would be more along the lines of:

PowerBook G4 (DVI)
    Mac OS 10.3.9
    667 MHz G4 processor
    512 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 7500, 32MB

I know I do not meet the minimum CPU requirements, but can I make up for that by increasing my RAM? I am willing to run on the lowest settings (can you tell the obsession is setting in?).
  2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    I think the minimum settings are pretty much ironclad. I run it on the ibook in my signature and even with everything turned down to the lowest I get about 16-20 FPS. I am past most of the requirements except the video card(and you have a wrse one then me).
  3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I had a first gen iMac G5 (1.8ghz G5, 168mb RAM, geForce5200 w/64mb RAM) and it was pretty much barely playable on anything more than min. detail settings.

I'd say not to bother. :( Look on the bright side. You get to save $50+15/month and upwards of 60 hours a month!
  4. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

Jul 8, 2004
    You're going to have a terrible experience playing with that system.
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    How did you come about to have that particular spec?

(Edit: sorry, I don't mean to snip...I'm just curious as to whether you think the issue on this Mac is the general horsepower, or the amount of RAM, and I'm not sure how much RAM you have, cuz I'm pretty sure you have >168MB. ;) )
  6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I think he means 768.
  8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Yup, that's what I meant. Just a simple typo with the num pad... and for the record the 1G iMac was junk, imo. It was crazy loud if you did anything that required more than 10% of it's CPU power, and in order to anything that required the power of your G5 you had to turn it to high power mode, which in turn kicked all the fans into jet engine noise levels. I could hear it from the other room, though walls, while standing 2 feet from my 'fridge while the compressor was on.

I'm much more impressed with my mini, both in terms of speed and usability for the price. I'm looking forward to a Core Duo mini, if they ever give it a real video card.