Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The report from Fudzilla, using unnamed sources, says that Intel's new plan is to release an all-new processor design for the desktop market every two years. In 2014, the report claims that Intel will offer a slightly improved and optimized Haswell CPU for desktop PCs. The next major new design won't come until 2015, when Intel plans to launch Skylake, which like Broadwell will use a 14-nm manufacturing process.

Source

Although improved wireless, graphics and possible default fusion drive might be part of the next revision of the iMac, you still might want to consider waiting on CPU after Broadwell. With Intel planning to make Broadwell a notebook exclusive and a refresh of Haswell is planned, it probably makes sense to wait it out completely unless whatever you have now is on its last legs.

I planned to purchase an iMac this year, but certain circumstances are interfering with that, so I think I am just going to go with an iPhone and iPad this year. I have a decent desktop PC with Windows 7: Intel Xeon, 160 GB SSD, 20 inch monitor. This can probably carry me into 2015.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
The report from Fudzilla, using unnamed sources, says that Intel's new plan is to release an all-new processor design for the desktop market every two years. In 2014, the report claims that Intel will offer a slightly improved and optimized Haswell CPU for desktop PCs. The next major new design won't come until 2015, when Intel plans to launch Skylake, which like Broadwell will use a 14-nm manufacturing process.

Source

Although improved wireless, graphics and possible default fusion drive might be part of the next revision of the iMac, you still might want to consider waiting on CPU after Broadwell. With Intel planning to make Broadwell a notebook exclusive and a refresh of Haswell is planned, it probably makes sense to wait it out completely unless whatever you have now is on its last legs.

I planned to purchase an iMac this year, but certain circumstances are interfering with that, so I think I am just going to go with an iPhone and iPad this year. I have a decent desktop PC with Windows 7: Intel Xeon, 160 GB SSD, 20 inch monitor. This can probably carry me into 2015.

Skylake may not be that big an improvement over haswell in terms of speed Intel has shown that they care more about small chips and battery life than raw power.

I wouldn't wait 2 years even if one did upgrade every 24 months simply because the CPU isn't good enough.

Now if it had something big like retina or a touchscreen with rumors pointing to that that might be something to consider .

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I am waiting until 2032 when the next-next-next (etc) generation CPU/RAM/ microscopy-equivalent ultra super duper retina screen / USB 48.1 is launched. I'm sure it will be worth putting up with my Lisa until that glorious moment.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
These threads are so meaningless. Obviously the longer you wait the better computer you will get. When the new chip comes out without retina, you are going to suggest people to wait for next iMac with retina?

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
New iMac displays could make the difference this year - if they match with the new TB displays.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
I dont see apple changing the monitor in the IMAC for MANY years, it is new. I actually expect to see the Apple Monitor released next to be based on the IMAC monitor.

Also - I do not expect to see apple release a new IMAC this year

NEW laptops yes
NEW PRO yes
NEW IMAC - no

Now there may be a standard Fusion Drive placed in all IMACS. But no other changes atleast until next year, and it could be late next year. The current model is solid and very fast.

Tom

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I dont see apple changing the monitor in the IMAC for MANY years, it is new. I actually expect to see the Apple Monitor released next to be based on the IMAC monitor.

The Apple Monitor is already based on the IMAC monitor.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
Yes it is the 2011 model not the 2012 model, I expect to see the new Monitor to come out based on the 2012 iMac

RecommendationDon't Buy -
Updates soonLast ReleaseSeptember 15, 2011
Days Since Update738 (Avg = 399)

Tom

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
What you buy starts to become obsolete the moment you get it. If it greatly increases your capacity that makes it worth the upgrade, something faster will always come out next year and doesn't affect the performance of what you already have. Waiting two years for a machine starts to border on the ridiculous IMO.

I bought a new Mini this summer, it's nice and fast and can handle anything I can throw at it. If something new comes out, it'll still be nice and fast.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Yeah good idea! I needed a new iMac to replace my aging 2009 iMac, but now that this has been revealed, everything's changed. I"ll wait a few more years and get an iMac that's better than one that's not even out, let a lone exists yet.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I am waiting until 2032 when the next-next-next (etc) generation CPU/RAM/ microscopy-equivalent ultra super duper retina screen / USB 48.1 is launched. I'm sure it will be worth putting up with my Lisa until that glorious moment.

I doubt USB 48.1 will exist in 2032 considering USB 2 was released in 2000 and USB 3 not until 2008. That'd mean USB 6 in 2032 if they follow that pattern.

On top of that, I doubt ultra super duper retina screen would be included either seeing as 4K has not even come to consumer market yet. Not even regular retina is very widely adopted.

It was a nice try to be funny but you should've upped the year if your prediction was supposed to be even remotely realistic.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
2015 is little more than a year away, so its not really a long wait. Then again, we can't bet on Apples release strategy, since it looks like updates to the iMac are a late year thing. So in fact, that Skylake iMac is about 2 years away.

Then again, PC's last so much longer. I was planning to buy an iMac later this year when the Haswell updates become available but I don't know if I am gonna bother since it was more of a 'want' than need case. I decided I would just save the money and buy an iPhone 5S 32 GB and a decent Windows laptop.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I doubt USB 48.1 will exist in 2032 considering USB 2 was released in 2000 and USB 3 not until 2008. That'd mean USB 6 in 2032 if they follow that pattern.

On top of that, I doubt ultra super duper retina screen would be included either seeing as 4K has not even come to consumer market yet. Not even regular retina is very widely adopted.

It was a nice try to be funny but you should've upped the year if your prediction was supposed to be even remotely realistic.

I found it funny. Maybe take the stick out of your butt? :p

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I found it funny. Maybe take the stick out of your butt? :p

It has nothing to do with having a stick in your butt or not. I always see comments like his whenever people like him wants to make a point that you can wait forever if you always wait for something better to be released.

I get his point - and it's a valid point at that - it's just that those kind of comments has been posted to death and are so boring it's not even funny anymore.

If you found it funny, good for you. Perhaps you haven't been here for very long - or perhaps you're just easier to amuse, even with the same kind of joke over and over... and over and over again :p

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Also - I do not expect to see apple release a new IMAC this year

NEW laptops yes
NEW PRO yes
NEW IMAC - no

Now there may be a standard Fusion Drive placed in all IMACS. But no other changes atleast until next year, and it could be late next year. The current model is solid and very fast.

I do expect a new iMac (and Mac Mini) this year as Apple won't want their mainstream desktop PCs to lack 802.11ac and PCIe SSDs when their laptops all have them.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Thunderbolt 2

I think part of why Apple is waiting until late October or November 2013 to update the entire Mac lineup, they are simply going to do an across the board.

Meaning, all the desktops including the iMac will include Thunderbolt 2 not a Mac Pro exclusive. I don't think Apple is interested in waiting a year to add TB 2 to the iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro's. Especially if they plan to release a 4k Thunderbolt display, they want all their systems be able to drive that and the 20 GBs per sec TB 2 offers would be perfect for that.

More reason for you not hesitate either, so if you want that 4k TB display and a Mac Mini, you can get it.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
I think part of why Apple is waiting until late October or November 2013 to update the entire Mac lineup, they are simply going to do an across the board.

I daresay it's mostly supply chain/staffing related: they just launched two "new" iPhones.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Yeah good idea! I needed a new iMac to replace my aging 2009 iMac, but now that this has been revealed, everything's changed. I"ll wait a few more years and get an iMac that's better than one that's not even out, let a lone exists yet.

Then when that one is coming out something better will be coming out after it so might as well wait again. :)

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Especially if they plan to release a 4k Thunderbolt display, they want all their systems be able to drive that and the 20 GBs per sec TB 2 offers would be perfect for that.

More reason for you not hesitate either, so if you want that 4k TB display and a Mac Mini, you can get it.

The Mavericks wallpaper is 5120 × 2880. If that's a hint, they may go better than 4K.

This, from May 2012 - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694044

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The Mavericks wallpaper is 5120 × 2880. If that's a hint, they may go better than 4K.

A developer preview of OS X Lion included 3200 x 2000 pixel wallpapers a year before the 2,880 × 1,800 pixel 15" MacBook Pro retina arrived so anything is possible.

That being said, is anyone working on a 5120 × 2880 27" LCD panel? The focus right now appears to be on 3840 x 2160 LCD panels for 4K displays. Plus the advantages of Retina are not as noticeable on a 27" display due to the distance one would (should) sit from it.

If anything, I think Apple will add a 4K Thunderbolt Display with a 31.5" 3840 x 2160 panel with TB2 and USB3 for the new Mac Pro to complement the current ATD (which I would expect to take on the iMac form factor and add USB3, but might stay with TB1 unless Apple adds TB2 to the Haswell iMac and MBP Retina refreshes).

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009

Tom

New IMACS came out today with changes. Same Apple Monitor though, so you were sort of right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.