Probably don't want to crash that new 5 Series then

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Sep 24, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

oh dear...anyone know what the last gen 5 series got?

2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

4 Stars...

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it looks sweet but i guess if im paying that much id like to have something with a higher crash rating

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Especially when you have 507bhp under the hood :eek: :cool: :D

In 15 seconds flat you can bee doing 124Mph, all the while with the misses doing her makeup and the kids arguing in the back, fan-friggin-tastic!

...also 0-60 in 4.7, good god!

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

sod that... I wouldn't want extra ballast spoiling the fun!! :D

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

only 3 stars ? ... thats about a jeep liberty or a frickin polo......what a shame

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

not as bad as that death trap Chrysler Voyager that folded up like foil when they tested it.... I don't think that even scrapped 1 Star. :eek:

interesting that it's been suggested that the BMW's problem is structural, that could have serious repercussions for BMW if true... :eek:

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

3 stars? Structural problems? In a car capable of 150mph + and massive acceleration?

Strap me to a rocket sledge, it's safer... :eek:

I knew I didn't like the new BMW design much, now I know why they look weak ;) :D

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So I guess the fix is not as easy as MB had with the A Class after failing the "moose test"?

11. Chmeeee macrumors member

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Didn't the Chrysler Voyager also test well in the U.S. as well? yet was one of the most unsafe cars ever tested in the Euro NCAP tests?

Looking forward to seeing the revised results.... otherwise BMW are really in the sh*t!

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I don't think I could make any promises in an M5!! :eek: :p :p

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Could it be possible that the US standards are lower than the European one?

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it's more of a testing method thing.

17. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Do crash test even matter? They use limp dummies. Those things are like what a drunk person would be like in an accident. Hence the reason drunk drivers walk away from fatal accidents more than their victims. Until they start using dummies that react like a sober conscious driver would, crash test results don't mean **** to me.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, but they also look back at the videos at whether the cage collapses, or the dashboard collapses onto the legs, or whether the engine compresses and crushes your legs, etc. If the 5 series can't physically take a hit, it's useless.

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Er, where would one find this video?

20. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

More like completely different. There are lots of cars considered fine in Europe that aren't allowed on the roads here.

21. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I thought that was more to do with type approval because of emission laws that strangle U.S. cars of which certain european cars couldn't meet without extensive re-engineering or specific state legislations that would make it prohibitly expensive for the car company to implement.

We certainly do have cars that don't score well in the Euro NCAP, alot of the Asian cars suffer this, or have done in the past because of poor materials, design and engineering.

European designed cars themselves though are particularly good now, especially Renault.

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's not just emissions, crashes too. We have these messed-up laws that require specific design features, even if there are different ways to accomplish the same goal. That's why, for example, they haven't been able to sell smart cars over here; according to the way the US regulations are written, they don't have proper bumpers, even though the cars actually meet the safety goals of those bumper specifications.

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I poorly worded my reply... :p I meant for retooling for safety features as well.

I wonder what the differences are between the U.S. and Euro crash tests are?? I presume the U.S.must have SUV and Pick Up tests where they test how a car handles an impact from either of them as they're so popular there.

The biggest difference I can remember is the Voyager though... it was supposed to be considered safe in the U.S., yet it really did FOLD up in the Euro NCAP to the point where next to no one bought it because it was death trap.

It's insane about the bumper thing... :rolleyes: I guess that's why you guys don't get TVR's over there yet!

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The problem is that the IIHS tests can be "won" by engineering, and have little value in the real world crashes. Not sure about the European standards.