Probably dumb pc/mac question...

Discussion in 'Games' started by cartoonfox, Mar 18, 2006.

1. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hi, My friend and me want to play halo online together, but he uses PC and i use mac.
    so, is it possible?

sorry for being dumb : ]

peace

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's not a dumb question- that I'm aware of, some well coded games allow cross platform multiplayer and some don't.

Halo does. Bungie's site does mention that sometimes the patch for the Mac version might come out later than the PC version so make sure you have the same patch, but other than that, you can play online between the two.

3. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

4. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

ok, new question...

we want to know if my friend can bring his pc round to my house and connect to my mac using an ethernet cable and then play Halo and other games through LAN. Can this be done? If so, how? is it as simple as plugging in the ethernet cabel to my mac and his pc?
    I've searched round on the interent but can't find anything.
    I have mac OSX (newest update) and he has windows xp.

Also, you said that only certain games can work with mac and pc connected together. Does "call of duty 2" work? where can i find this infomation out? would it say somewhere on the activision game page or something?

thanks for any help

peace

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I don't know about CoD2, but as for networking...

If you have a switch or router that shouldn't be a problem, just plug both computers into it and provided neither has funky static settings everything should be okay.

If you don't and want to hook the computers directly together with an ethernet cable, that cable will have to be a Cross-Over (or "twisted pair") cable or it won't work. You can either make one (google) or pick one up at a wal-mart, etc.

6. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

awesome, thanks man.

im gonna buy one of those cross-over cables

peace : ]

7. Togglehead macrumors 6502

will the mac get confused withe the crossover...??

i know macs can automatically switch to "crossover like" conditions (i.e. switching pins)....for going Mac to Mac.....but if its plugged into a PC...will it get confused?

8. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

every mac since the pismo powerbooks has had a network adapter that can cross over the cable internally if needed.

the OP should be able to run a cable directly (or Comp-to-Comp wifi) and the computers should find each other and pick IP addresses, provided the settings are for automatic setup on both machines. apart from a firewall blocking the traffic, theres no reason two computers shouldnt be able to play together if they have IPs.

9. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Call of Duty 2 for OS X will not be released until May.

10. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

hey thanks you guys.

mrichmon - doh, thanks for pointing that out. i saw it on amazon and thought it was out now, didnt realise the little bit of text saying it was coming out in july! (UK)

peace

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

There is a good guide at this site...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X