Probably the stupidest post ever

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by atacinus, Jan 2, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

I warned you in the topic line...I switched to the mac about a month ago, and I've been stuck with the same apple backgrounds since switching...i.ve searched around the web, but no one makes wallpapers [any good wallpapers that is] for a 1280x854 resolution...anyone know where i can get cool [meaning not abstract like apple.s - but more like the nature ones that come with panther] wallpapers at this resolution.

Thanks in advance,
    Christien

2. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

3. macrumors 601

Westside guy

OS X does a pretty good job with "stretching" images to fit your desktop - I use a lot of wallpapers that are native 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Probably the stupidest post ever

>Christien

You haven't looked at the Community Forum Archive yet? or the Wasteland?

If you do, you'll find that even you'd have to sink quite low to compete with some of the veteran posters. ;)

Of course the first attempt at the Political Forum had some brown gems.

5. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've got my screen set to 1280, but I find that I prefer a desktop image that's smaller, like 1024, leaving a border of some solid color around the outside, because that's where I keep my icons for commonly used files, applications, and folders. When I stretch an image to fit the bigger size, or use an image that is already that size, it's harder to use my Mac as conveniently.

I think Apple should let you specify the scale factor more precisely, rather than making it all (whole screen) or nothing (no scaling).

6. macrumors 603

solvs

Believe me, we've seen some posts that are much worse than this.

Isn't there a way to make any picture into a background? Try a google search or versiontracker for some programs and links (like the one Dave suggested). Or look at a book when you go to to Borders or Barnes and Nobles. Panther for Dummies. They have lots of tips. On my parents PC right now, so I can't check.

Good luck, though.

7. macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: Probably the stupidest post ever

werd!

i remember those days. fun times.

;)

8. macrumors 68000

tjwett

Ctrl+Click on your desktop and choose "Change Desktop Background". or you can open System Preferences and go to Desktop & Screen Saver. Just click on Choose Folder and browse to any picture on your HD.

9. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Panther even shows my photo albums from iPhoto as folders to either select a random desktop from, or to navigate to and select any individual one. I like mine to change each time I log in (which is less and less with this fast-user-switching feature.):p