Probelms with new Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by nospleen, Nov 28, 2004.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just bought a new powerbook from the Austin Apple store. I am having two problems with the machine. When I touch the p button, this is what happppppppppppppens. I have to hit delete after hitting it or it will continually type the letter p. Also, it will not sleep?! I zapped the pram and it slept the first time I tried it, but then the next time it would not and it still does not? I live in San Antonio and I do not want to make a trip back. But, if there is not a fix without sending the unit off, I will do so. Thanks for your help.

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It sounds like your P key is sticking, thats why you are getting PPPPPPPPPP, the sleeping problem may be something different that someone else could better explain.

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Use the Apple Care, 90 day free phone and 1 year for parts if you didn't get the 3 year full warrenty, and call them up on the 800 number. Explain the problems, and they will most likely have you do some dignostics first. If the problems persist, Apple will ship out a box too you, then it will take about 4 to 6 business days for them to get it back to you, with everything fixed. If you do end up shipping it back, make sure you save anything that you put on the laptop, since it will get reformatted.

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Backing up your data is always a good idea. However, I have sent computers into Apple in the past, and they have never reformatted my system. I guess that I have been lucky :D Wouldn't have mattered I always back up anyway. My PB was behaving strangely when I first got it, and when I upgraded the RAM it solved all of my problems. The stock RAM was misbehaving. Don't know if this would cause your PB to not be able to sleep, but it might be worth checking out. But with your computer being brand new, I would just call Apple.

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I called the store and they said I could send it to Apple for repairs, or swap for a new one. (I just purchased it on Sat.) So, I made the 1.5 hour trip and swapped. It ended up taking me 2 hours because I had a damn blowout. :eek:

6. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

The genius at the Genius bar said it would not sleep because the p button was randomly going off. (even without touching it, very weird.)