problem after mother board replaced

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shanner, Mar 31, 2007.

1. shanner macrumors member

Hi! My iMac's screen started going black a few weeks ago and it got progressively worse (ie restart wouldn't sort problem out) so i dropped it in to my local apple dealer and they had the mother board replaced.

Since I got it back though the problem isn't 100% gone. Now it wont start up properly from shut down - the on light lights up, but there's no chime and a black screen, so I need to try again and second time around it'll work. This seems to be connected to the last problem i had.

I intend to drop it back in for another repair, but i just wanted to get some opinions on how common a problem this might be, what i should expect apple to do about it and how angry i should be, because i think it's pretty bad. i'm just glad it's still under warranty. Any views on this?

Thanks a lot!

2. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

its possible that the part that apple shipped the tech was dead, or that the tech did a poor job of installing it. either way, it should be a free, expedited repair for repeat service.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well what I'm wondering is why would the tech replace the motherboard (actually called a logicboard on the mac side) for a screen problem? A dark screen usually indicates an issue with the screen itself or a bad LCD inverter. Unless for some weird reason they though the graphics chip was bad, there's no reason to change the logicboard in it.