problem after mother board replaced

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shanner, Mar 31, 2007.

1. shanner macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    Hi! My iMac's screen started going black a few weeks ago and it got progressively worse (ie restart wouldn't sort problem out) so i dropped it in to my local apple dealer and they had the mother board replaced.

Since I got it back though the problem isn't 100% gone. Now it wont start up properly from shut down - the on light lights up, but there's no chime and a black screen, so I need to try again and second time around it'll work. This seems to be connected to the last problem i had.

I intend to drop it back in for another repair, but i just wanted to get some opinions on how common a problem this might be, what i should expect apple to do about it and how angry i should be, because i think it's pretty bad. i'm just glad it's still under warranty. Any views on this?

Thanks a lot!
  2. NuDarwin macrumors member

Mar 26, 2007
    its possible that the part that apple shipped the tech was dead, or that the tech did a poor job of installing it. either way, it should be a free, expedited repair for repeat service.
  3. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Well what I'm wondering is why would the tech replace the motherboard (actually called a logicboard on the mac side) for a screen problem? A dark screen usually indicates an issue with the screen itself or a bad LCD inverter. Unless for some weird reason they though the graphics chip was bad, there's no reason to change the logicboard in it.