Problem Burning in Mac OS 10.1.1 thru 10.1.5

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ccindy, Aug 27, 2002.

1. ccindy macrumors newbie

ccindy

The Mac: Power Mac Blue and White G3 300 mhz Rev a (Supported By Mac OS X)
    The Burner: Que Fire! 8x4x32 Firewire (Supported By Mac OS X)
    The Media: 700MB CD-RW TDK discs.
    The Software: Toast Titanium 5.1.2 to 5.1.3 to 5.1.4 (Supported By Mac OS X)
    The OS: Mac OS 10.1 thru 10.1.5
    The Problem: Inability to burn to CD from any Application or Utility
    The Symptoms: Drive blinks then light becomes solid, nothing happens, the drive actually spins down, the burn stops within 1 second of the start, aborting does not work, power has to be turned off from the drive to unlock Toast, or I have to Force Quit Toast. I then must turn power back on to the disc to eject it. So far, non of the discs I've tried have been made into coasters, as far as I know. This happens with iTunes, Toast, Disk Copy, and Apple Disc Burner, as well as a demo of Discribe V5.0.18, iTunes has to be force quit, as does Disc Copy, and Mac has to be restarted with Apple Disc Burner, Discribe V5.0.18 demo has to be force quit, which cause Kernel Panic, and Mac has to be restarted.
    My Attempts: I have read forums, and reports galore for 2 days, I then spent since 11:00 am to 12:00am then 8:00am to 4:00 pm then 8:00am to 12:00PM (obviously a lot of time, spanning 3 days not counting research) reinstalling Toast, upgrading Toast, down grading Toast, installing Apple updates, and reinstalling X twice (The first time it was totally corrupt, so I had to format the drive and install again) I have ran Disk Utility, Drive 10, and even Apple's Privileges Repair utility, and tried burning in root, tried burning at a slower speed, changing FireWire ports that the cord to the drive was plugged in and a slew of other things, and nothing at all works.
    The thing that upsets me as well: I've read of people having similar problems in 10.2.
    The Kicker: Toast, iTunes, and Drive works flawlessly in Mac OS 9.1, PRICLESS, lol.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know, this is driving me nuts, I have installed and reinstalled X over 10 times since I've had it, and burning has never worked. I don't know what to do, all the problems other people have reported have been similar and their solutions have yet to work, please if anyone can, please help! The problem is really burning me up, heh.:confused:

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

get a better burner...HA HA...no that's a serious problem that you may need to call tech support about...

3. ccindy thread starter macrumors newbie

ccindy

Possible Solution

After days of searching, a tip from a fellow Mac Club member helped tremendously. I was refered to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/firewire.html where i went to the cdrw section, and input my specs for 23 reports from other peple with the same or simular problem as mne. After reading the reports, one thing is clear, its not the OS, not the Drive, but its my Mac. Apparently Rev. a Blue and White macs not only have the ATA drive problems, but also a bad FireWire port problem, the ports work beautifully in 9, but not in X. The solution is to buy a Firewire card, particularly a OWC 3 Port FireWire PCI interface card
    (OWCLUCT5X) This card is supported by X and 8,6 and up, and is working beautifully with everyone else, as soon as I get the 30 bucks, I’m going to try this, and prey it works. Info can be found at http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=4480&Item=OWCLUCT5X

Thanks again for everyone’s help, however, if anyone has other ideas, I will gladly try them. Thanks.
    :) :D

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hmm... interesting...

well, anyways, hope that Firewire card works!

irmongoose