Problem changing home folder name

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macman2790, Nov 27, 2006.

1. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i'm having a problem changing my home folder name and i delete other folders that are in the users folder and they keep coming back after ever restart. Whats going on and how can i stop this?

Thanks

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I've read several issues occuring when the user changes his home folder name... i'd suggest avoiding it completely :cool:

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Your home folder name is tied to your 'short' username, which there's no easy way to change on the fly.

If you need a new home folder name one possibility is to create a new account with the right 'short' username, then copy your files over from the old user account.

You could also probably do something with NetInfo to change your home directory to something else, not sure how you'd go about that tho.

4. skyy macrumors member

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And you still stand a fair risk of things %&@#ing up. READ the warnings and instructions that come with the software.

And in general do NOT rename or move folders that OSX creates.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude

Quit messing with stuff. Your computer is gonna be ****ED up.

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Stop Asap!

Take it from someone who learned the hard way and had to archive and install, completely rework all my plists, transfer tons of old files when I simply changed the home folder name. It is a huge kick in the... If you have already done it, as I suspect you have, and your computer is operating as if it were a brand new machine or is going all haywire, I suggest you 1. run disk utility as a basic safety measure and first step. 2. archive & install. I am giving you the quick and right to the punch steps, clearly there are other intermediate measures between 1-2 that can prove useful.

8. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

guys you know what, i enabled the root user and fixed everything. Don't get all paranoid about things like this. I fixed it with a simple google search: change shortname in os x. i didn't think id find it but i got it.

This one contains a link to the apple support page that discusses it.
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/03/how_to_change_a_users_short_name_in_os_x

This one is on the apple support site, hmm its not so dangerous if its done right.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I don't understand why people change their user folder name in the first place. What's the rationale for this? :confused:

10. macman2790 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macman2790

because it was my email address i got tired of looking at it and i just wanted my name.