Problem connecting Linksys ADSL modem router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bss1ik, Oct 23, 2006.

1. bss1ik macrumors newbie

Bought an Ethernet ADSL modem router (Linksys AG241) to replace a Speetouch USB modem and cannot get it to talk to my iMac. Connected up the RJ45 into the built-in ethernet and have tried to configure using PPP settings for my BT Broadband service but will not recognise the router or open a web page. Any suggestions. Linksys telephone support can only help PC users!

Ian

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it talking to other machines? Some ISPs only allow certain MAC (not as in Apple Mac) addresses to connect to their servers. Perhaps your account is still associated with the old modem's MAC address in which case a call to your ISP should help. :)

3. bss1ik thread starter macrumors newbie

No it won't talk to my G4 laptop either. It gets as far as recognising the computer and assigning an IP address using DHCP but when I try to access the linksys router webpage to configure to my ISP (192.168.1.1) I can enter "admin" on user and password fields (as all the manuals tell you to do) but it then fails connection to the set up page. I am waiting for a reply from my ISP to see if they have any ideas.

Any other thoughts?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So the machines are getting on the network then? Does the manual tell you how to reset the password? The Macs will probably connect to the router via TCP/IP rather than PPPoE, even if the router then connects to the modem via PPPoE. In fact, if the router is configured properly then it should be a matter of plugging the cable in and using the Mac straight away, without making any changes. :)

5. bss1ik thread starter macrumors newbie

At last sorted the Linksys router connection problem. Using the 192.168.1.1 web page link to configure the router does not work in Safari or Internet Explorer. You can only get to the linksys set up page using Firefox as a web browser. So the whole thing is a browser conflict! I have told linksys technical support, and suggest they put it on their FAQ page!

I am now trying to use another ethernet port on the linksys wired router to connect to an airport express so that I can have wireless access in the rest of the house. Can anyone tell me how to configure this or direct me to a webpage?

Thanks
    Ian

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent work. :cool:

Configuring the AirPort should just be a matter of going to the Internet pane of AirPort Admin Utility when connected to the Express and select Connect Using Ethernet. The rest of the settings should match the Ethernet settings on the Mac that is hardwired to the router.

If you use the bundled AirPort Setup Assistant, it should walk you through this from memory. That might be an easier option. :)