Problem connecting two macs via network... help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doug.hall, Jun 23, 2006.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

This has beaten me all evening..

I have just bought a new macbook (very pleased with it btw) and I'm trying to connect it to my powerbook. I switched on file sharing on both machines and they are both connected to the same airport express network. The problem I have is I can see and connect to my powerbook from the Macbook via the networks in finder however I cannot see my new macbook from my powerbook?

Does anyone have any idea why I can see in one direction but not the other?

I'm foxed:confused:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm interested in the solution to this as well. I had a PB and an MBP on the same AirPort Express and had problems getting two-way sharing. I moved the MBP to a different AirPort Express, and it worked fine.

Both systems were then able to share with no problems and no setting changes on the laptops, and both could connect to the original AirPort, and the AirPorts have the latest firmware.

Your situation/setup might be different, but it sounds a lot like the issue I had earlier.

3. Queso macrumors G4

On the PowerBook, in the Directory Access applet in Utilites, is the AppleTalk box ticked?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It shouldn't have to be.. that's strictly for legacy AppleTalk, not AFPoverTCP.

Are all firewalls off?

5. Queso macrumors G4

But if the MacBook appears if AppleTalk browsing is active, it could indicate a problem with Bonjour on the PowerBook.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm not sure I see the 1:1 corrolation there as AppleTalk is a non-TCP based device discovery protocol, and Bonjour is all TCP based.

I'd be more interested if the OP could connect directly by impliciting giving the IP of the MBP from the PB and trying to connect.

7. Queso macrumors G4

The laptops can always see each other if you tell them where the other is, they just can't browse to each other automatically. There used to be a file you could delete back in one of the previous versions that would reset the network browser cache (or something), but I've not seen it since I had Jaguar installed.

EDIT: Sorry if that makes me seem like a know-all. I just remember having this issue, but I can't remember how I resolved it :confused:

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's the point, we don't know that they can see each other if they are pointed directly at each other. As for browsing, this is based in multicastDNS (Bonjour), and not in AppleTalk.

As far as I'm concerned, being able to establish that the computer can directly link is the next best step in troubleshooting.