problem copying to iDisk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jrr66, Jan 27, 2005.

1. jrr66 macrumors newbie

Hi

When I try to copy files to my iDisk public folder, it doesn't work. Here's what happens: it very quickly copies the file (just seconds to do all of the MB), and says it's copied all of it but is just "finishing." Then it never finishes. It just goes and goes and never stops.

If I copy the same file from one place to another (say, from Itunes to the desktop or vice versa) it works fine and takes just seconds overall. It's only copying to the iDisk that seems off.

thoughts?

thanks
    jrr66

2. H&Kie macrumors regular

Did you have problems the last few days? Then this could be a problem with iDisk itself. There were some troubles last days. Some couldn't use their iDisk properly but can now, some still can't.

You might check .mac for more info

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

if im thinking right then idisk uses ftp for transfers. this is a problem i had on FTP at a company i did some consultancy for a few weeks back, and i ended up finding it was the router (a linksys wireless dsl router/modem thingy) which had somehow forgotten how to FTP. i did a factory reset and restored the firmware, and it now works fine. try it, it may work. if not, come back to here!

4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

MIne did that for a while - and i was extremely frustrated. Then, i noticed as it was saying "finishing" The actual document on idisk was getting bigger slowly. For some reason when it is "finishing" it takes a while- so just wait it out.

kyle

5. jrr66 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...

OK, thanks. I'll wait until tomorrow, and see if it was just this iDisk glitch the first post mentioned. Then I'll try again, and just wait it out and see if it finally goes through. If that doesn't work, I DO have a router, so it might be that.

ps: your avatar photo is too small to recognize, especially on my small screen powermac. Doesn't look like Vernon Reid or Nile Rodgers...

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Did you happen to do the latest security update from Apple? There have been some reports of iDisk issues after the update.

7. jrr66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I regularly do the updates--I can't remember when the last one was.

I tried again, and it still doesn't work. I wait forever for "finishing" and it never finishes. I tried a Word document, though, and it worked fine, which is odd--if it were a problem with the router/FTP/or iDisk in general you wouldn't think that would have worked either. This is a music file I'm having trouble with. There is definitely enough space allotted on the iDisk. There's no way it should take this long.

Also, as it's going on and on, I hit the stop button and nothing happens. I have to restart orforce quit the finder or some such to get it to stop.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

bumping because I am having a similar problem.

except it just plain won't show up in the public folder, not so that homepage recognizes it - so it won't allow me to upload anything because it shows nothing is in that public folder. (even when I plainly see that I have files in that public folder)

I am thinking of scrapping this .mac idea if I can't figure out this simple homepage/iDisk problem. it seems such a stupid problem to have and I can't seem to fix it. :mad:

ever since the 10.3.9 update this computer runs awful, can't even sign into ANY instant messengers. seems it placed a creepy firewall that won't go away no matter how many times I try. (yes I turned firewall off, I don't know what the deal is)

any answers would be really appreciated.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

iBlue: .Mac has Web directory displays turned off (but they show you a 404 error instead of the more common "directory listing denied"), so you can only see a file if you enter its URL directly. Also, there is a massive Netapp borg between your iDisk and homepage.mac.com, so it takes a minute or so for files to appear.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

That was a known bug in 10.4.0 and 10.4.1, but it was supposed to have been fixed in 10.4.2. It was for me, but it sounds like maybe not for everyone.

11. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I've experienced this as well, with the exception that the file did eventually transfer. It does seem to go to the "finishing" stage satisfyingly quickly and then take an age to complete. It's as if the "finishing" stage is the actual point transfer begins.......slowly........very, very, slowly.

I read somewhere that its something to do with WebDav implementation and that you can use another WebDav client (gorilla something?) to improve things, but as I don't really understand this area at all I can't really help. I'll hunt around and see if I can locat the magazine I read this in (I think it was iCreate)
    cheers
    Vanilla

12. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Okay I found it. It's not gorilla(!) but Goliath. Its an app for browsing, uploading and downloading content from WebDAV servers, has built-in support for iDisk and is supposedly a gazillion times faster uploading to iDisk

Goliath

I've not tried it yet but iCreate liked it so I'll probably have a play with it soon.

cheers
    Vanilla

13. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

So I downloaded Goliath and tried it out and its pretty neat actually.
    It loads up my iDisk fast and I can move around the folders smoothly.
    I timed an upload of a 1.2mb pdf, which took 40 seconds, which isn't too bad.
    I'd certainly recommend giving this a go.
    Vanilla

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

thanks folks... no cigar for me though, just won't do it. I am not going to panic over it though, it was a free trial and what I tried I did not like so no harm done. I'm irked that I couldn't figure it out but I think there's worse problems to worry about ;) I needed more space than homepage could ever give me as it is so it probably saved me a heap of time not to bother anyway.
    I do appreciate the answers though, I learn something every day here! :)