Problem Downloading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sharbarr, Nov 22, 2006.

1. sharbarr macrumors newbie

I have had constant trouble downloading anything on my Mac mini.

I have tried downloading MSN messenger, Attatchment from online Email, and other various things. When i download from Safari it tell me in the download window, "Cannot Create File".
    Or when I try to download form any other browser it just gives me an error message saying to change the preferences of some folder.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Silly question but where are you attempting to downloading the files to? The Desktop?

It sounds, from your description, to be a permissions problem, i.e. you (or the application) does not have the permissions necessary to create files at the download location specified. If you are downloading the files to a location within your user account then there shouldn't be a problem but specifying a location outside would likely cause issues. If this is the case then it might not be a bad idea to check the destination location folder's permissions in the Finder (using Cmd+i) and see if you have read/write permissions; if not then correct so that you do.

3. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

did you ever have speed download

use opera and see if you can download anything with that. I did that and opera told me what to do. Opera is a mac web browser

4. sharbarr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help.
    I have not tried Opera yet, but i've tried Camino which is also a Mac Browser.

It says I do have read/write permission to my desktop where it is downloading to, but it still says Cannot create file

5. sharbarr thread starter macrumors newbie