Problem for First Time User of Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by muzzy, May 1, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm using Xcode 2.2.1 on a 12" Powerbook running OSX 10.4. I am trying to create a new cocoa project, and everything I build fails with the same error:
    Code:
    warning -L: directory name (/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.1) does not exist
    unknown flag: -syslibroot
    A google search for the error turns up nothing. I can see a /Developer/SDKs/Mac10.3.9.sdk/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.1 directory but apparently Xcode can not. I also tried downloading the Xcode Legacy Tools from http://developer.apple.com but that doesn't seem to have fixed it either.

Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 603

gekko513

See the difference int the bold section?

You must either switch to using the 10.3 sdk when building, or I think you must reinstall Xcode and make sure to check to install the 10.4 universal binary sdk during the installer.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I do see the difference. I've tried copying from one folder to the other, and OSX won't let me. I have checked the preferences section of Xcode and can't see where I can tell Xcode to look in a new directory. Finally, the MacOSX10.4u.sdk folder has GCC 3.3 in it... so I'm not sure why Xcode is looking for GCC 3.1 at all.

If I can't configure Xcode to use GCC 3.3 instead of 3.1 using the preferences page... where do I configure it?

4. macrumors 603

gekko513

You can't just copy them. They're very different development kits. You must install the universal binary development kit (MacOSX10.4u.sdk) using the Xcode installer.

Or, develop non-universal by changing the build settings in the Project Settings. Change the setting for "General -> Cross Develop Using Target SDK". That should also change the setting "Build -> SDK Path" for you.