Problem- Hardware or software?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by estlincs, Feb 22, 2004.

1. estlincs macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm having a problem and I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software. I'm leaning towards hardware, but you never know.

I am running a G4 450 AGP, OS 9.2.2 (tho it did it before I made it up to 9.2.2 from 9) with 128MG RAM.

The problem that I'm having is that sometimes (5-10 times a day) when I click on an application (or file, or folder it doesn't matter) I get a pause and nothing then a couple of seconds later either the harddrive or the fan revs up and the menu comes up for less than a second and disappears. Then I can click on the same object again and get the menu. (Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms...) After a few seconds the fan/harddrive dies down and I'm back to normal.

That's the best I can describe it. Thanks!

Oh yeah, it's done this for ages, I'm just finally trying to figure out what's up.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    try this.

open system preferences -> energy saver. see if the "spin down HD automatically" box is checked. If it is, uncheck it. If not, leave it alone.

It sounds like your drive is spinning down, which results in all sorts of messy lags when you do anything requiring disk use. tho the drive should not spin down so quickly afterwords, it should take 5 or 10 minutes (don't remember)...

3. estlincs thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2004
    Is that the same as going to Control Panels -> Energy Saver? I don't see a "spin down HD automatically" check box there.
  4. estlincs thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2004
    I checked my Energy Saver and it's set to "never" for sleep, including the system, display or hard drive. So theoretically it shouldn't spin down or sleep.

Any other ideas?
  5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Well I have no idea why the hard disk starts spinning.NOrmally when u run something which takes a lot of ram, then system goes to hard disk for virtual ram, and so it spins. So may be your 128 mb ram is not sufficient for the apps you are running.
    Second, when some programs quit unexpectedly or 'nothing' happens when u click their icon, sometimes the culprit is messed up permissions. So you may want to repair permissions. To do that
    finder-applications-utilities-disk utility
    then select your disk and click repair permissions.
    you should repair permissions once a month, incase you never do it.
    hope it helps
  6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    That won't work as he's on 9.2.2, not OS X.

Does this happen while you are using the machine or when you come back from a break?
  7. estlincs thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2004
    I don't have to have any apps actually running. It can just be the finder running and if I single click on an icon sometimes it happens. I can't really predict when it's going to happen.

It just happened now. I went from IE to Finder and single clicked on Quicken. The little watch comes up, the hard drive ramps up, menu appears, disappears and before I can even finish typing this, the hard drive has stopped making the 'speeding up' sound and now I can click on whatever I want and get the menu instantly (or open the app, whatever).

I would say it happens mostly when I've been using the machine.