Problem in DVD ripping process... please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d wade, Jul 7, 2006.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

let me start by telling what toys i am working with.

Macbook Pro 15
    Mac The Ripper
    DVD2oneX 2.0.5
    Toast 7 Titanium
    Verbatim DVD-R 4.7gb

alright, i have done so much reading, researching, and posting on other forums, and i am still having trouble.

i am having the hardest copy making copies of my DVD collection. if someone could please tell me what i am doing wrong, i would be so appreciative.

ok, i will use the example Grandma's Boy, b/c this is the 1st (and only) DVD i am trying to make a backup of.

WHAT I DID

I opened MacTheRipper, inserted Grandmas Boy, and then began the process. i did the full disc extraction. it made a folder called 'grandma's boy' wit the Video_TS folder inside of that.

Then, i opened DTOX, and selected full disc copy, and began that process. when it was done, it made a "grandma's boy' folder inside the Video_TS folder that was inside the folder that MTR placed on my desktop.

i figured everything was good to this point.

so i opened Toast 7 Titanium, clicked the 'data' tab, and had the DVD-ROM (UDF) option selected. once i did that, i hit the red button to record. seemed to be working fine.

however, when i checked on it about 15-20 mins later, an error message was up saying something about bad sectors.

if someone can please please tell me what i did wrong, or how to fix it, i would be so appreciative. thank you so much in advance!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you have bad sectors, what you did wrong was to buy bad media. To fix it, you need to buy better media.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Damn dude, how many threads have you started about burning Dvd's....?

like two a day?:p

You must be trying to burn some wacky content, cuz everything I've ever tried to burn with toast is EZ..including bin/cue...

For a DVD, these are the steps I take...

1. Rip in Mac the ripper full disc extraction..

2. Open Toast 7, select "video" click "from Video TS" drag the folder that MTR made into the big window in Toast,

3. Click record..

done...
    Good luck!

:)

4. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

i know man. i have been doing sooooo much reading and researching and posting, and i STILL can't get it right. every time i think i got it, something else goes bad.

see, you say to click the 'video' tab, everyone else says to select the 'data' tab. also, i would have to compress it before i burned it w/ toast b/c it is not Dual Layered disc, just the regular DVD-R... so the ~8gb DVD w/ all features would not fit on to a regular dvd unless it was compressed.

5. Garrettc87 macrumors newbie

I used handbrake, turn the quality to 100 percent, and i have actually ripped grandmas boy with it. Handbrake is one program that will do all of your simple needs, except it rarely works on sony pictures ones.

6. Garrettc87 macrumors newbie

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, I'm no expert, but I have comments on these two snippets. When using DVD2OneX, you say that a "Grandma's Boy" folder is generated within the VIDEO_TS folder. This sounds like a problem. Shouldn't the folder that DVD2OneX be on its own? Maybe that's the problem???

And the thing about Toast 7. I thought Toast 7 has the features of Popcorn. So you wouldn't even need DVD2OneX at all. Toast 7 should compress the VIDEO_TS folder down to fit onto a standard DVD-R.

ft

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Handbrake won't help d wade in this situation because he's trying to back-up his DVDs onto DVD-R's. Handbrake isn't useful for this task.

ft

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

10. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

ok, i have the folder that MTR put on my desktop. it is named 'grandma's boy.' inside is the Video_TS folder. now when i open Toast, where do i drag and drop the folder? and which folder do i drag and drop in?

from there should it work?

11. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

anyone? come on, this is why i have to keep making threads. if anyone can answer this it will be done. but i'm always left with unanswered question marks.

please help me finalize?

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Why are you making this so difficult? The post above already told you what to do. You don't need DVD2oneX. You simply drop the folder that MTR produced onto Toast7 with the VIDEO tab selected. Video tab. Video tab. Got it? The Video tab in Toast7 will do everything you need to do. It will compress the Video_TS content down to fit on a DVD5 (see the little check box on the lower part of the left hand panel?) and then it will burn it. You're done. Finished. That's all you need to do. OK?

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Bad sectors sounds like bad media to me. Ive never had any probs.

The way I do it is use latest Mactheripper then open toast and set it to 'video' and set the buttons on the left to 'DVD-video from TS folder' and tick the box 'fit to dvd compression'. Then all you do is drag the ripped TS folder (inside the ripped folder somewhere) to the Toast window and click burn. With the DVD compression boxed ticked it will compress the video before it burns the disc so that it fits on what ever disc you have put in the drive. I use dual layer discs so it doesnt have to compress much, if at all. Your average film DVD is 7GB so it can be a like for like copy onto a DL 8.5gb disk or if its going on a standard 4GB dvd then it will get compressed quite a bit but nothing drastic.

Hope this helps. Verbatim dvds are cheap and good! :D

14. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

yeah, that was what i needed to know. i'm not trying to make this difficult, im trying to understand how it works. someone once told me to do it under the data tab, so i am kind of confused. i'm not sure when to use video tab and when to use the data tab, thats all.

thats exactly what i use... Verbatim

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Your confusion probaly stems from an earlier version where you did have to click the data tab and select DVD-UDF (whatever it was) when doing it that way you had to drag the entire ripped folder not just the TS folder. I think it was version 6. 7 is more video friendly :D

16. road dog macrumors regular

1. launch toast 7
    2. select Video tab at top
    3. select DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS in the drawer on the left
    4. drag/drop in your VIDEO_TS folder into the Toast window
    5. make sure "Fit-to-DVD" is checked and compression will occur

all of this is covered in detail in the user guide (and the help) includede with the product. look for the topic titled "Making a DVD from an existing VIDEO_TS folder". you do have the user guide that came with the software? it comes with the installer in PDF and also in printed form.

did you buy the software, or *ahem* acquire it through suspicious means.

17. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

no no, i have the PDF guide. and i did read through it.. just not the whole thing. when i tried using the search feature, it said "no pages for what you are looking for" or something to that affect. there are alot of topic headlines, so i was trying to use the search function to narrow down it down to find my specific problem.

18. lady8@pacbell.n macrumors newbie

Making dvds

maybe since you are not video inclined it might be cheaper and less time consuming to just go out and buy the movie instead of trying to copy it. the whole process has been explained many times over. most previewed movies are about 5-7 bucks anyways. how important is your time?

Jan

19. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

IMO macs suck at ripping/burning dvds. I have all the above apps (mactheripper, toast, and dvd21x) and shrink+nero on the pc smokes them all. I use my old pc (which is in my sons room now) to make backups.

20. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    If by "smoke" you mean speed, then I'm not sure B/C i've never used a PC for DVD ripping, but if by ease of use, then I can't imagine DVD shrink could be easier to use.

Ripping a DVD on a Mac with the above steps and software is about as complicated as emptying the trash. One of the easiest things that one can do on a Mac, there's maybe three mouse clicks involved....

21. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

if youve never used shrink, how can you comment on what it can/cant do? Ive used both shrink/nero and macripper/toast/dvd21 and shrink/nero win hands down.

22. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

If you have access to a PC, then DVD Shrink is great to use. But if you have access to both platforms, then having both sets of apps covers all of the bases.

For instance, DVD Shrink wouldn't rip Underworld Evolution, but Mac the Ripper did. I'm sure there are examples on both sides. Caveat - not sure if I had the latest version of DVD Shrink.

ft

23. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

dvdshrink is no longer being updated.
    dvddecrypter is a better program for newer dvds but is not a one step solution like dvdshrink. you need nero or such to burn.

24. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

True, there were some movies that wouldnt work through shrink, and when that happened I used dvd decrypter. My point was between a pc with shrink+nero and a mac with mactheripper+toast/dvd21, shrink+nero is a much better combo IMO.