Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
San Francisco
I tried using fontbook in Panther but was too slow and somewhat confusing, so I went back to Suitcase, not sure if i messed up my fonts and maybe turned something off I wasn't supposed to, now some of my messages in Mail show up in "Symbol Font" and some of the text next to the email address and date (header) appears in fractions (numbers) and can't read anything, I've seen the same problem in Safari, in some pages but not all, not sure what's going on, if I cahnge the message font in Mail's prefs part of the problem goes away but not all, but I have to use some weird bold font and would like to use a simpler one if I could, sorry to be so long winded, can anyone help me with this issue? has this happened to anyone else? Thank you in advanced.

dezeinstein

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Los Angeles
same here

I'm having the same problem... no matter what font I change to in mail preferences, some mail messages come in completely unreadable, and I have to hit reply to be able to read the message.

Help!

sandro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
San Francisco
I Found the Fix!!!

ok here's what I did, I open my HD open my user directory and then open Library, in there find the "Fonts" folder and drag it to your desktop, but don't leave your library without a Fonts folder, create a new folder and name it "Fonts", this folder will be empty, close everything and restart and test Mail and Safari, for the time being I'm using Suitcase to add fonts to my system, if you don't have a font utility you can try "FontBook" which came with Panther but I found it buggy, up to you, otherwise you can add fonts slowly to the fonts folder in your library.
Good luck!

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
i'm having the same problem. but this fix you suggest seems a bit tedious.

Is there anyone out there with a better solution to this problem? .. it seems to me that it is picking up Helvetica Fractions instead of the standard Helvetica.

Thanks.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
ok. i think i solved my own problem here.

it appears i had some font conflicts in FontBook. I resolved the problems represented by a little •

pixelsmudge

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2003
Osaka, Japan
Can anyone tell me exactly which fonts should be in the system fonts folder - I've been having nightmares with Font Book - crashing, etc, and I think I turned off and trashed some important fonts in error while trying to figure out FontBook.
Maybe post a screen shot of the basic system fonts?
Thanks in advance.

sandro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
San Francisco
Originally posted by pixelsmudge
Can anyone tell me exactly which fonts should be in the system fonts folder - I've been having nightmares with Font Book - crashing, etc, and I think I turned off and trashed some important fonts in error while trying to figure out FontBook.
Maybe post a screen shot of the basic system fonts?
Thanks in advance.

the way I fixed all my problems was to have an empty "Fonts" folder in your library no fonts at all, then you can use Font Book or any other font utility, it seems that the mac has its basic font(s) Default somewhere else, cause having an empty fonts folder does not affect the system at all, I hope this helps you any :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.