problem installing mac osx tiger on intel imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joelw, Jan 20, 2007.

1. joelw macrumors newbie

hi, I have a intel core duo iMac, with 10.4.8 on it... i want to reinstall osx to start it from fresh. but im having a problem.

i have lost the install disc i got with my mac, so i borrowed my dads, from his intel core 2 duo imac. its a 10.4.7 instal dics 1 and 2. should work fine eh?

well when i put disc 1 in, it start up, and when it gets the the install window, it just says software cannot be installed on this computer.

i had the feeling it was to do with firmware. but i tried that firmware reconstruction cd thing, with no luck!

any ideas?

Joel. thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know what this is, but yes, you are correct -- the system restore / install DVDs only work with the specific model they were sold with. You need restore discs for your own model, and not another one. So you have to either get yours or get replacements.

3. joelw thread starter macrumors newbie

right, thanks. so i need install discs for a core duo. not a core 2 duo? i didnt think there would be a difference.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is... even when there are smaller bumps -- e.g. the four or five revisions of the aluminum powerbook -- the discs are incompatible between revisions. Sorry.

5. gunnar23 macrumors newbie

I have a similar issue, can I use a Tiger install DVD bought off the shelf?

thanks,

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you also have an Intel Mac? I don't think so -- as far as I know, retail discs are only for PPC Macs at this point.

Call Apple and ask them to help you get replacements, or look for replacements on eBay. And then don't lose them in the future! ;)

7. gunnar23 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, I ordered a replacement disk from Apple, and yes I have an Intel Mac, if I had a PPC I could buy it in the store.
    Plus it only cost $45.00