Problem installing new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wr0x2, Jun 17, 2006.

1. wr0x2 macrumors member

The hdd on my TiBook g4 died, so I bought a new one to replace it. The drive is a WD 80gb drive. Install was easy, and I opened disk utility from my 10.3 install disk. I formatted the disk and gave it one partition, hfs+, journaled. I return to the installer and it reccognizes the disk, but it gives me the error "You cannot install mac os x on this volume. You cannot startup you computer using this volume." I google the error and end up here. Everything seems like it should be fine. Info lists the disk partition scheme as "Apple_partition_scheme", just like the site says. What am I doing wrong here?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are they discs that came with a different Mac? The link you gave relates to Intel and PPC machines, but I don't think that's your problem here. Maybe try formatting the drive again. :)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Instead of using the Partition tab in Disk Utility, use the Erase tab instead.

4. wr0x2 thread starter macrumors member

I have done both, still doesn't work.

*edit* well, I rebooted and the install continues just fine. Thread over, maybe someone else can be helped by reading this.