Problem installing OS 9.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trirod, Nov 23, 2004.

1. trirod macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2004
    I received my "new to me" G3 iMac (500 MHz) today and started trying to load system software on to it. The computer came with the HD wiped clean. I tried initially booting up from my OS 9.0 CD (purchased for my old machine) but it wouldn't boot up - just got a flashing folder/question mark and mac face thingy in the middle of the screen.

Next I tried OS 8.6 that came with my old 350MHz iMac - same deal.

So I then installed 10.2 - no problem (time consuming, but it worked).

I still can't install 9.0 though - I put the disk in, select "Install Mac OS9" and all I get is a message that says "Classic Startup found no system folder on the boot volume from which to start Classic". I still can't boot off the 9.0 CD - it just goes into OSX when I hold the "c" key down on startup or even if I change the startup disk in preferences to the CD.

What am I doing wrong - this is frustrating!!!

Rod :(
  2. trirod thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2004
    Further research...

Apparently the 500 MHz iMac is not compatible with OS 9.0 - I have to install OS 9.2.

I have OS 9.2 on my old Mac, having upgraded from 9.0 that was originally installed on it. Can I back up 9.2 from my old Mac and install it on my new Mac - or do I have to buy a 9.2 disk (which I would hate to do since I already paid for 9.0 and the upgrades to 9.2 are free!)???

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You should be able to install MacOS 9.2 by simply copying the installation from another computer. I will not use the term back-up because term means different things to diferent people. A simple copy is sufficient.