Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hankk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Seattle
I'm trying to install Panther on our G3 iMac DV from the back up disks that came with our new G5 iMac. (G3 iMac DV: 10.2.8; 768MB; 80GB)

Among the bundled software is Nanosaur 2.0 (pretty fun). It is not supported on the G3.

The install options are:
1. Panther + bundled applications
2. Bundled applications only
3. OS 9 only

There is no Panther-only install option that I can determine.

When I attempt to install on the G3, the installer determines that the target machine does not support the bundled software (as noted above) and stops.

I've inspected the directories of all the back up disks and have not found anything useful.

Does anyone know a work-around to this issue? Or if I want Panther on the old machine, will I have to purchase a Panther upgrade?

One final question: Will my proof of purchase coupons entitle me to a copy of Panther or Tiger that I could install on the G3 iMac?

Thanks, Hank

h.koerner@comcast.net

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....this comes up in here time and time again. The disks and OS that shipped with your G5 are for *that* computer only. OS X is a *single computer* license - having a copy with your G5 does not give you the right to install on any other computer you may have around. A quick look at your license agreement will tell you that.

If you want 10.3 on that machine you have to buy a copy - those "proof of purchase" are meaningless. The only discount you may get is if you are entitled to educational prices.

Now, having said all that....what you may want to do is just wait until 10.4 comes out and then purchase a "Family Pack" license - for not much more than a single copy you are entitled to install on up to 5 computers in the same houisehold (non-commercial use only)...have a look at Apple's website for more details......oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.