Problem loading Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rps25, Apr 7, 2005.

1. rps25 macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2005
    Mac Mini is only a week old -- so freaked out a little at this apparent problem!

First, Internet connection started to slow, then couldn't connect to any sites (cable modem).

Mail and Firefox were freezing up, so I restarted, and when restarted, I had the spinning ball, the menu bar didn't appear, the HD icon wasn't on the desktop, and Finder wouldn't open.

Internet is still slow as I type this on my PC, but it is getting through to most sites, at least.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Don't mean to be erm....snitty about it. I do have suggestions on how you can fix it, but you should make them walk you through it. If you want to DIY for whatever reason, the things to do:

1) Run the cron jobs, repair permissions, update prebindings, reboot.

2) On reboot, hold Apple-S. You will boot into a text mode (single user). run "fsck -f" at the prompt. If you get any line that says that it is repairing/fixing/changing something (instead of just verifying it), keep running it until you don't get lines like this anymore. Then type "exit."

3) If you still have problems, boot off the hardware test CD. Sometimes issues like this are caused by bad RAM. The CD should identify if you have bad hardware.

4) If none of that addresses the issue, you likely either have a corrupt preferences file or a corrupt system file, and you would basically want to backup your files and do an erase and install of the OS from the discs that came with the Mac.

But again, call AppleCare and make them sort this out. You paid for the support. Good luck!
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Are you perhaps on Comcast Internet? Just curious since I had a similar problem this evening - dreadfully slow connection, problems with Finder booting up normally, etc. But since it was on both my Macs and my PC (the slow connection, anyway) - I figured it was a cable connection thing. But like you, it seemed to screw with the Mac more than the PC, but both were problematic.

It seems to have just recently cleared up enough to allow me to login here.

Check it out now and see if you're still having problems.
  4. rps25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 7, 2005
    It is Comcast, and it does now seem to be working normally. I was able to search some forums while on the PC, and tried a few things -- setting the System Preferences to no connection allowed Finder and the desktop to load normally; and I repaired the permissions.

Ultimately, I guess it might have been on Comcast's end and not anything to do with my computer, but either way, I ended up learning something about troubleshooting on the Mac (all new to me), so I'll take the learning experience.

Thanks for the help.
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i have comcast as well, im still having problems with some site, but its has wrecked hovac to my system too, everything seems to be slower than normal, although Adium has not had any problems at all which is odd