Problem maintaining Airport Extreme internet connection

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jmarte, Aug 13, 2004.

1. jmarte macrumors newbie

Please help, as this problem is severely annying. I am having problems maintaining an internet connection with my aiport extreme base station. It will be working fine, and then for no apparent reason I will lose internet connection. I have updated to the latest firmware, but I still have this issue. My wife and I both use 12"PB 876's on my wireless network, and we both have the same issues. The only way to fix it is to unplug the power from the airport extreme and plug it back in. I have switched my isp from DSL to Cable, and the issue is still there. I am guessing that there is some setting in the base station that I need to adjust.
    Please help!!!!!

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Do you have or use any 2.4 ghz cordless phones? Do you live in an apartment or condo where neighbors might?

Airport and WiFi in general is sensitive to interference from some cordless phones and other electronics. Make sure your basestation is away from other radio devices like a phone base, stereo, microwave, etc. Also make sure you have the latest firmware and Apple airport updates on your machines, that makes a huge difference.

Lastly, make sure your outlet is grounded. Often, older homes have improperly grounded outlets that can interfere with network hardware.

3. jmarte thread starter macrumors newbie

We don't have any 2.4 ghz phones, but I will check to make sure the house is properly grounded. The base station and our computers all have the latest updates and firmware, so it must be interference or a grounding issue. We are currently renovating the house, so maybe it is a problem with grounding. I will check it out. Thank you for your time and suggestions!!!!!

4. billtanderson macrumors newbie

I regularly lose my internet connection, but can still see the network (don't know if this is the same as you?). I have bben using the management utility to restart the basestation.

It's annoying, but not too bad.

5. jmarte thread starter macrumors newbie

yes!

Ahhhh, that is exactly what is happening. I will be surfing the net and all of a sudden I can't, but I can still see the network. It is irritating, but I can live with it. I wold just like to make it go away, though! I just unplug the basestation and plug it back in and I can surf again!! I found that unpluggin and plugging it back in is the fastest and easiest way to go.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I had this problem awhile back. I went into the Airport Admin Utility and switch the Channel to Automatic, and I haven't dropped connection since.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

Does my Samsung SCH-A670 count as a 2.4 GHz phone? I've been having trouble with my wireless connection lately.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've never had a cell phone interfere with my wireless.

9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

No,m cell phones are safe. Just some cordless phones in the 2.4 range or any unfiltered regular phone on a DSL line.