PROBLEM MOUNTING DISC IMAGES

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by biohazard6969, Mar 20, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

whenever i download stuff with safari (havn't checked to see if same thing happens with other browserss) i can finish the download fine, but then when it tries to mount the disc image, it doesn't work and in the safari downloads manager i get the little message that says "mounting failed" and if i try to open the file from the desktop the same thing happens....i don't know wat to do

HELP!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The disk image files are damaged or your copy of DiskImageMounter is damaged. You may try opening the files in Disk Utilities to see if you can repair the images or mount them from there.

3. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok .dmg files work fine, but its the .dms ones that won't work, i had a problem with this before, not like this, but the alias needed to be fixed. anyways they won't mount, and i can't see them in the disc utility, so i can't check if they are corrupted or not

4. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

it says that the file isn't recognised, but i know that it should be, i've verified that with the sites

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Are you using SpeedDownload? If so, get rid of it.

Second, the following should fix it: simply change the ".dms" to ".dmg" by renaming that part of the filename and it should then open by either double clicking it, or by dragging it onto Stuffit Expander. [.dms files are not Macintosh compressed files and you are getting them as a mistake from what I've been able to gather on the subject--the renaming thing should fix it]

Good luck.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you sure? What kind of file is .dms? The only remotely related reference that I can find is Document Management System.

7. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

don't you hate it when the things that seem the hardest are in fact so very simple, that worked perfectly, thanks a LOT