Problem printing large files from photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jschone, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jschone macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been trying to print a 100x150 cm 240 dpi file on an epson 9800.
    The file was still in 16 bit mode so the file size was about 600mb. The file was a .jpeg from a D2x.
    After I pressed the print button, photoshop started processing for 2-3 minutes. Then I received the following error:

"Could not print xyz.tif because of a program error".

I checked the console.app and there are the following messages logged, 16 successive times:

"Attempt to release a printing object without first doing a retain"

I tried the same action a few other times. Yesterday I was able to print the file one time. After that the same problem.
    Today, I also reinstalled OSX and Adobe Creative Suite. Problem is still there.

I also saw that there is a message "photoshop not responding" in the activity monitor. And after a while it starts to continue again. It will do this another time and then it comes back with the "could not print xyz.tif because of a program error".

I have the following setup:

-PowerMac Quad (OSX 10.4.3)
    -4.5 gb memory
    -250 gb harddisk
    -Creative Suite Premium 2
    -Epson 9800 (connected with usb 2.0 cable 3 metres to Mac)

The free disk space is about 215 gb. I did not receive my second disk for the Quad yet, so this is the only disk internal plus a Lacie 250 gb external. I have just migrated to Creative Suite 2 from Creative Suite 1 and I did not create any specific preferences yet. The memory allocation for Photoshop is the standard 70%.
    The Lacie is not in the list of available scratch disks somehow.

Does someone have an answer tho this problem?

Kind Regards,

Jochem

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wrong appraoch, IMO. You should have started by hitting Epson's website for an updated PPD.

3. jschone thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Printing large files from Photoshop CS2

Hi,

I have the latest printer driver installed. (actually, this is a driver that was released yesterday). I also tried with the older driver (before).

I also was able to print the file one time, so there is less chance that it is a driver problem. It seems more a concern of memory (management) in OSX or Photoshop.

Kind Regards,

Jochem

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I assume the printer will print things normally, e.g., other pictures/text?

I think the next step would be to scale the picture down by 50% and see if it prints, and keep scaling until it gets to a size where it'll print. You need to determine if the problem is on the printer's end or the Mac's end.

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

drop the resolution

try dropping the resolution down. You can probably go down to about 100dpi and still get acceptable results.