Problem: scratches on my e-mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ccsimard, Oct 31, 2004.

1. ccsimard macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2004
    love my e-mac...but i recently noticed a couple scratches
    on the white glossy finish, near the right speaker...not deep ones, just enough for me to notice...

now i wonder, do any e-mac users out there have recommendations
    on what to use to get rid of these scratches?

i've googled and found a product called 'i-cleaner' - not sure though if it'll work on my e-mac...

any advice you could offer for me to maintain my lovely new e-mac would be great...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    You could try a product called 'Brasso', if they have it where you live.

It's a slightly abrasive metal polisher that I used to use to put a finish on resin casts, also have successfully used it on CDs that have been too scratched to read.

Just apply a couple of drops, grab a soft cloth and have a go.

Whatever you try, do an experimental patch on the bottom of the machine, where you'd never see it.
  3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    does this "brasso" work effectively on the front or back of an ipod??

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Same material, polycarbonate.

Which is a rather easy to scratch surface, which is why the lenses in eyewear has the anti-scratch coating.
  6. ccsimard thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2004

will Brasso work on an emac? it's not's white plastic - like the original ipods....

i can give it a try if you think it'll work, i'm in canada...winnipeg (winterpeg) manitoba...may have the stuff around here, i'll look around..

7. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    i have used brasso for metal and stuff (like its originally intended for) but i also have used it on plastic. I scratched my brothers new plastic drinking glass with a scourer when doing the washing up. It was a kinda soft plastic and it was scratched pretty badly. I tried brasso on it and it worked a treat. It has tiny abrassive bits in it that gradually wear away at the surface. Just use a tissue (or if you are american) a kleenex and a little bit of brasso and do it little by little. Too much and it might do more harm that good. Anyway i have heard it mentioned for several times too use on an iPod and on iBooks etc. So i'd say that its definately worth a try.

But don't sue us if it scratches your eMac to buggery!