Problem unpacking .7z files to .iso files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cranberry24, Aug 21, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Okay, so I have three .7z packages, when I unpack them one by one, I get 3 .iso files, which I can't open. When I double click the .iso file, like I do with any .iso, it won't mount, instead I get this:

[​IMG]

(Yeah, Final Fantasy, but don't worry, I have the original CD's, BUT, the second one is damaged and my PSX can't read it any more, I suppose this is not illegal as I have the originals in my possession? If it is, I'm sorry and this topic can be closed!)

Can anyone help me with this? I figure it's not possible that all the packages are corrupted/damaged??

2. macrumors Core

alphaod

Because ISOs disk image files and are not mountable in OS X. You need to burn it to a CD and then run it from the burnt disc.

3. macrumors member

doesn't disk utility let you mount and burn .iso images?

if not, toast or similar will do the job of making discs from your iso's. If you can get them onto a windows box somehow, nero will do the job.

The Unarchiver (in the applications folder on 10.4.11, don't know about earlier) will handle 7zips just fine...

4. macrumors Core

alphaod

But the point is that the OP as to burn it, not mount them directly.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm sorry but I can't really find myself in that, as I have a great number of ISO's which do mount in OS X, I will try burning now, maybe that will change something.

THEN I have a second "case", I have this ISO that gives me this error when trying to open it:

[​IMG]

I have burnt the ISO file (see picture one for details), see picture two for the CD, and picture three for the mounted ISO.

Picture One:
    [​IMG]

Picture Two:
    [​IMG]

Picture Three:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the ISO is a rather big size, yet when mounted or burnt, it doesn't contain a single file... See the twee pictures below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have absolutely no idea what the problem might be...

6. macrumors member

right back at the beginning, you said that the original of this disc was not readable by your psx. Do i understand this to mean that it's not a mac disc image you're trying to mount? Surely if that is the case, then all you want to do is burn it in a hurry and get back to playing FF on your psx?

I could try and mount an image of, say, visual studio pro 2008 for xp on my mac, but i wouldn't expect to be able to do much useful with once it was mounted, ISO files are just 1:1 copies of the original disc- format, filesystem, lead in, the lot. I know I can burn ISOs of windows software using DiskUtilities, as I've made backups this way myself.

? Maybe the decompacted archives are corrupt if the disc is damaged and that is why they are unmountable? just a (bad) thought.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, my bad, I forgot to add that the ISO's are for emulation... I need the disc(s) to mount, so my psx emulation software will see them as a CD, and can thus emulate them... I can't burn the ISO's for my PSX since it's not chipped or anything, the defected disc is an original, and my PSX can't read copies... (The ISO's should contain ROMs, I believe)