problem viewing HTML listserve digest in Mac Mail program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jaikie, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Jaikie macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2007
    Hi All,

A favorite listserve of mine has upgraded their l-soft software to allow posting messages in HTML. I subscribe to the Digest version. Although I see it JUST FINE in my server (Comcast) it comes into my mailbox with links, but no associated text (which is present on the server).

Even more odd, when I FORWARD my digest to myself from the server, it comes through just fine.

The list owner is a PC person, hence helpless.

In my preferences, there is a setting: "display remote images in HTML settings", which requires Internet access.

Changing to allow this only allows the top hyper-linked summary to link successfully to the anchors below.

When I click on an anchored link, this error message comes up:

Mail was unable to open the URL “cid:-14@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU”. No associated application could be found.

As you scroll down the list of message subject headings, from top to bottom, the number after "cid:-" changes in DESCENDING order.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I would really rather keep my digest subscription....

2. acdawson macrumors newbie

Jun 14, 2007
    same problem

I have the same problem with LSoft Listserv digests and have found a number of other people out there experiencing similar problems. I have not found a fix yet and suspect it is a bug in

Maybe it will be fixed in Mail 3.0.
  3. acdawson macrumors newbie

Jun 14, 2007
    same problem: solution?

Found this

Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 03:17:09 EDT
    Reply-To: Mac OS X enterprise deployment project
    Sender: Mac OS X enterprise deployment project
    Subject: Re: MACENTERPRISE Digest - 24 May 2005 to 25 May 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 06:32:05 -0700 Tom Horton said:
    >I'm having problems reading the Macenterprise Digests. When I click on >a message link I get the following error:

>Mail was unable to open the URL "cid:[log in to unmask]"....

>Any help in knowing what this is talking about?

Yes. I'd say you set your MacEnterprise subscription to HTML DIGESTS. This means that you get a daily digest of posts with an index up front. You can click on any index entry to go directly to the corresponding post in the digest.

Sounds good, but unfortunately this doesn't work with too many e-mail programs. I know for sure it doesn't work in Apple Mail. It *might* work in Entourage, I haven't tried it. It does work in Outlook on Windows. Whoopee.

I'd suggest switching to the regular digest type. You won't have clickable links to get directly to a post but at least you'll be able to read the digest.