Problem viewing JPG'S sent from OS9 to OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daniel Alcheh, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Daniel Alcheh macrumors newbie

:confused:

Hi all,

I'm working with Panther and sending JPG'S by email to my girlfriend at work. She uses OS 9 with Outlook Express and she can never see the photos I send. I tried instructing her to change a few settings and preferences but nothing seems to help. The system admin in her office says it's a problem when sending images between OS9 and OSX.
    Does anyone have a solution or suggestion what I should try? These are not even photos that were treated by Photoshop, iPhoto or Preview.

Thanks,

Daniel

dalcheh@mac.com

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

jpeg is a jpeg ... i think the sys admin is blowing hot hair out of his ass :D

see if she can load those pics out of the email and into a new folder on her Hard drive, and see if she can open them that way (assuming you haven't already done this)

3. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

She did save the attachments to her computer but when she tries to view the photos she gets the message: "a suitable graphics importer could not be found". This is of course only true to these emailed JPEG'S, because she can view other JPEG'S and other peoples photos...
    Perhaps there is something wrong with our relationship?...@;^)

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

LOL

hmm ... where are you getting your photos from?

5. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

I get the photos from different sources. This time it was a few shots we took with our digital camera (nothing dirty. I simply made a 24 pound turkey!).
    I know that if I open a photo with Preview and rotate it and then save it before quitting, I myself have sometimes problems opening that photo up on a PC. I did view them with Preview before sending them out, but I didn't need to rotate anything (luckily, our turkey was lying there horizontaly). Do you think it might still be doing something to the file structure, etc.?

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

try an experiment ... just download the pix off your camera and send them without touching them at all, then see what happens

Preview shouldn't be doing anything, but it doesn't hurt to try...

And your sure your sending Jpegs?

7. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, JPEG'S they are. File info says it, then I believe.
    Any other suggestions?

8. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Hmm ... try and get her to open software, and then try and open the image from the software, rather then double clicking on it

9. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

We'll try it in a couple of minutes and I'll let you know what we find.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Try Stuffing them or Zipping (Don't know about OS9 and zips though).

11. racostan macrumors newbie

That happened to me before....

Make sure the extension ".jpg" is in the file names. If they don't have it, just add it.
    Sometimes OSX does not recognize the jpg files if they don't have the extension.

I'm 99% it works.

Just let me know.

R

;)

12. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

13. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

so the

opening it within software didn't work?

Neither did the the "Open With" function?

15. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

we postponed that for tomorrow. She was already on her way out. I will let you know if it worked. I have a feeling we tried that, but I might be confused by other times that your solution worked for me.

I'll let you know.

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Cool ... sounds good

try a variety of different things too

like import into word documents ...

that message "a suitable graphics importer not found" looks like Os 9 is picking the wrong software to open it with thats all

17. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

18. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

The program she is using on OS9 is Picture Viewer (quicktime).
    We tried opening the files from the program file—>open. Didn't work.
    We tried changing the
    extensions from JPG to .jpeg and even tried removing the extensions entirely, but it didn't solve the problem. She can see jpgs sent from other places so this is very weird. I don't have a problem viewing the jpgs I'm sending her on any software.

19. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Okay, you've established that she can open .jpg files from other sources. So it doesn't sound like her settings, but yours.

What email program are you using? Are you attaching the photos as .jpg's or are you stuffing (.sit) them first? What encoding are you using in prefs (MIME, AppleDouble....)?

20. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very distressing. Anyone else out there that we can get some advice from?

21. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using my .Mac account through Apple's Mail program I never really messed with the settings. I think they are whatever was the default. Let me check in the prefs.

22. Daniel Alcheh thread starter macrumors newbie

The only encoding I can find that is relevant to attachments is EDIT —>ATTACHMENTS —>"always send Windows friendly attachments". Should I use it? She is on a Mac...The other encoding settings apply to text. Or so I think.

23. pixelperfect macrumors newbie

Same problem!!

Hi Daniel,
    You are not alone. My 78 year old mother just emailed me. She's getting the same error message: Suitable Graphics Importer could not be found.
    She has an old imac. She's also using OS 9 with Outlook Express. It doesn't seem to matter whether the jpegs are from a PC or a Mac. It's really frustrating. I'm not sure WHAT she's missing!

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have your girlfriend open the Classic/MacOS 9 Internet control panel. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll down to File Mapping. Note the list of extensions. Scroll down to .jpg. Click the Change... button. From the resulting dialog box, scroll down to PictureViewer. It will be found in the QuickTime folder in the Applications (MacOS 9) folder. If the .jpg extension is not listed, click the Add... button. Similar mappings for .jpe and .jpeg should also be added. Alternatively, these extensions may be mapped using the Classic/MacOS 9 Extensions Manager control panel.