Problem: Websites Need Multiple Refreshes to Load

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotnina, Oct 28, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I've been having this problem for a few days now: when I try to access any of a number of sites, I receive a message almost immediately saying that the page could not load. However, when I click refresh once or twice, the page loads. This is happening with about 60% of the sites I visit.

Here's some background info, if it's relevant: my PB is on a wireless firewalled network with two Windows machines. I checked the log for the wireless router and we had two "pings of death" 10 days ago, which apparently can cause packets within a network to be dropped. However, we've had no pings of death since then, and the behavior has only been going on for 5 days anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

have you tried trashing the preference file for the browser you use. do a search for the browser name and there will be a file ending in .plist. delete it and see if that works. it might do!

3. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Are you on Time Warner? Internet has been very slow in NYC area for the past 2 days. Try resetting your cable modem, if you have one. That did the trick for me.

4. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, I'll try these today and let you know!

I'm on Yahoo DSL ... it's been pretty reliable, which is why I'm trying to find a problem at the computer-level first. I took another look at the router log, and it seems that a computer somehow joined our wireless network this past week, even though we have a firewall and only allow our own computers' MAC addresses. I don't know if that might be related to our internet problems, so I'm going to do some more digging around today.

5. syniac macrumors newbie

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I have this happen *only* with quote.yahoo.com. Every other site I go to loads the first time. I've always attributed it to a DNS issue of some sort.

7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Relief! It's not just me.

I've been using a group of tabbed bookmarks that I visit daily for over a year now and in the last few days, one of the bookmarks won't load until I hit the reload button. Then I noticed it was happening at other sites. This problem is intermittent, and sometimes pages will load with the first try. However, it's been happening enough that I know something is up.

I, too, am behind a firewall and have been for a while now. I'll trash my Safari prefs and monitor the situation.

8. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

its been happening to links for me in firefox. i'll click say, on a macbytes link, and it will tell me that the page can't be loaded.

9. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Same here...

My wife was complaining of this on our PowerBook using Safari... like a good husband, I didn't immediately believe her (probably user error, right?). Anyway, I then noticed the behavior on my PowerMac using Safari as well. Both have been updated with the latest updates on 28 Oct...

2004-10-28 19:14:42 -0700: Installed "iTunes" (4.7)
    2004-10-28 19:17:37 -0700: Installed "QuickTime" (6.5.2)
    2004-10-28 19:17:42 -0700: Installed "Security Update 2004-10-27" (1.0)

Ruled out the router and ISP since FireFox on the PC is OK.

Edit: Just did the standard, trashed the prefs and repaired permissions and no change in behavior.

10. stylum macrumors member

Same here

3 macs here, just mine with same symptoms and same updates
    :confused:

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

As I said above, my impression has always been that this is really a subtle DNS issue, rather than a bug in Safari, per se. It's just that Safari makes the problem very noticeable. I *think* it has something to do with the way the site publishes their DNS records. In the end, who knows? I don't think it's a big enough problem for Apple to prioritize it.