Problem with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xcalibur, Mar 9, 2004.

1. xcalibur macrumors member

I'm using the latest iMac running Panther and have updated all my software including the Aiport's to the latest. I can connect to my router and it gets assigned an IP and all and can surf but after a while (this is random...could be 1 hour could be 1 day) my connection dies...It still appears connected (the signal's still high) but I can't do anything...I can't ping the router anymore even though it's supposed to be connected...When this happens i've tried reconnecting but it stays like this until i reset the router. However, this problem is related to my Mac because the wireless on my PCs work fine and I don't have to reset the router at all. Thanks in advance!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That happens to me, but only once every month or so. With that infrequent rate, I don't really consider it a problem but if it was happening more often I would. You're sure you've got the newest stuff? There was an AE update only last week, and that was two updates within the last 2 months.

3. madru macrumors member

What router are you using? Do you lose your dynamic ip address once you lose connection? Have you tried renewing ip address at that time? This is a shot in the dark, but you could try assigning static ip to your imac for troubleshooting purposes.

4. xcalibur thread starter macrumors member

I'm using a Negear MR814v2. I don't lose my dynamic ip. I've tried renewing but it doesn't work. I'll give static ip a try later. Thanks.

5. madru macrumors member

I would also troubleshoot by process of elimination. Try wired connection. If this configuration results in the same behavior than you'll know it's not wireless. Really, the cause of your problem could be a number of things. Try calling tech support. It's possible that they've encountered similar calls.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

i had this problem about half a year ago. to fix it i updated firmware on the airport extreme and i have not had the porblem since. i will try find the old forum that i used with some one else to find this answer. i had to update to 10.2.8 to update the firmware

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    me too

i have this problem with my PB 12" (see sig for details) and my D-link DI-614+ w router/ switch. I have to completely switch IP addresses to get on the net or network, even tho i still have a signal. This happens as often as every five minutes. I am using the router to link my windows (yuck!) LAN to my mac and share my PC's net connection. It works fine when it does not disconnect. Also, it does not disconnect my cousin's Dell laptop when he's here. Is this something written in by M$ on purpose, considering it only affects ppls macs with 3rd party routers and not their PCs? :p