Problem with autentification and passwords

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iYahooo, Feb 4, 2007.

1. iYahooo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone... first of all sorry for my english..

I have a huge problem. I have an eMac G4. I was using Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, but for some time i'm on a Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I upgrade my OS with archiving everything what I have on my mac. So after upgrading i had everything just the same as it was in Panther. But i find a problems.

First of all password to my account. For example it was "house123" and after upgrading my OS should be the same.. unfortunatly it wasn't. My OS think it's wrong... So now i don't have any password. If there isin't any I can login to my account. The same way it is when I make another account. Don't know why. :/

what should I do to have my password back and work?

And second problem... When I run Software update in Finder after couple second it crash. :/ and I can run it over and over agin and it's still the same.

Please help what can I do to fix those problems? I spent over those two problems almost two weeks and still nothing. :/ HELP!

P.S. I'm using eMac G4 900MHz and 384Mb RAM on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

2. iYahooo thread starter macrumors newbie

one of the problems is solved :) everything what I did it was only reset passwords using Tiger install DVD :), but still don't know what's wrong with software update :/ any ideas?

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You could try trashing your Software Update preferences.

It can be found here:
    <your_home>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

If that doesn't work, maybe moving the following directory to the trash (but don't empty it yet!) could do the trick:
    Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts/

I strongly advise you not to empty the trash just yet, because it would be wise to put the /Receipts/ folder back to its original place if it didn't solve the problem.

4. iYahooo thread starter macrumors newbie

still nothing. It didnt worked out... nither first as well as second solution... :/

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

About the password problem though.....

Have you tried booting off the Tiger DVD, and resetting your account password from there?

6. iYahooo thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i did that and it's working now... the only problem left is that the software update crashes.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Maybe downloading and installing the 10.4.8. Combo updater will help.
    Remember to do the Disk Permissions repair after that too (using Disk Utility)

8. iYahooo thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i'll try :) i'm downloadin it now.. will see if that will help :)

9. iYahooo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jupi!! It worked :) one again many thanks for your help :) now everything is working just perfekt :) thx :)