Problem with burned DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Greg525, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Greg525 macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2005
    I finally actually started my new DVD burner that came with my new iMac. I just made the switch a few weeks ago. I'm having some problems with the copies of DVD's I'm making to back up mine for taking back to school with me. I am having no problem actually burning them, mac the ripper --> dvd2one --> toast, but when I try to play them in my Sony 5 Disc dvd player, is when my problem occurs. Around the 43 minute mark of all my burned dvds, the dvd starts skipping every couple of seconds. The first 43 minutes are fine, but then the skipping occurs. I tried playing the movies on my imac and had no problems. I also tested out the dvd player with a regular DVD and it also had no problem. Could it be the media I am using, Verbatim DVD+R's? Or is it just that my dvd player doesn't like burned DVD's? I had a friend make me a copy of another DVD awhile ago, and I had no problem playing it on the DVD player. Has something like this happened to anyone else? Sorry for the long post!

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    It might be that you're using DVD+r not DVD-r discs, I know the new Superdrives will burn both, but I've got an old PowerBook with the DVD-r drive in it and I've never had problems with discs playing back on my DVD player.

Try a DVD-r disc.

Please remember that MacRumors will not tolerate the discussion of piracy, I know you haven't specifically asked for that information and that's OK, but the process you describe is a very familiar piracy route.

Discussing technical issues with discs is fine, however.
  3. Greg525 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 15, 2005
    just a question, is it ok to back up discs of dvd's you already own? I thought that was ok, which is all I've been doing.

also, I changed my burner speed from 8x to 4X and that has seemed to fix the problem was of now.