Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgynther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
Hello,

I have an annoying problem with my new PowerMac G5 1.8 and ADSL connection (ZyXel P645 modem). OS X 10.3 loses connection many times in day to ADSL modem and whole system crashes. For example: If screensaver is on when connection "drops", I need to unplug power cord to reboot PowerMac because Powermac doesn't response to keyboard or mouse anymore.

I am not quite sure that connection really drops because Windows machine on same network works fine! Here is log taken from console:

Oct 30 22:47:45 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is down.
Oct 30 22:47:47 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex
Oct 30 22:47:54 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is down.
Oct 30 22:47:56 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex
Oct 30 22:48:05 localhost configd[84]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Oct 30 22:48:05 localhost mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 1 [pid 424]
Oct 30 22:48:05 localhost configd[84]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/set-hostname
Oct 30 22:48:06 localhost lookupd[451]: lookupd (version 324.6) starting - Sat Oct 30 22:48:06 2004
Oct 30 22:48:06 localhost set-hostname[461]: setting hostname to Powermac-G5.local
Oct 30 22:48:16 localhost configd[84]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Oct 30 22:48:16 localhost mach_init[2]: Server 1e53 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 1 [pid 451]
Oct 30 22:48:16 localhost configd[84]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/set-hostname
Oct 30 22:48:16 localhost lookupd[466]: lookupd (version 324.6) starting - Sat Oct 30 22:48:16 2004

I have tried different adsl modems and also reinstalled OS X. I think that problem is network card in Powermac... :(

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
It's not very clear from your description how your network is configured. You mention a Windows machine on the same network. What does that mean? Do you have an external router that the ADSL modem plugs into? Are you using the PowerMac as a router, i.e. you have 2 ethernet connections on the Mac with one connected to the ADSL modem and one to your LAN that the Windows box in on? You mention a network card in your PowerMac, which is confusing me, since the standard ethernet connection is on the motherboard, not a PCI card, so that's why I'm wondering if you have a PCI ethernet card as well as the built-in ethernet. If you do have a PCI ethernet card in the PM, what kind is it, etc.?

tgynther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
I have an Zyxel Prestige P645 ADSL modem and D-Link DI-624+ router. Both machines (Windows and Mac) are connected directly to the D-Link.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
tgynther said:
I have an Zyxel Prestige P645 ADSL modem and D-Link DI-624+ router. Both machines (Windows and Mac) are connected directly to the D-Link.
Which connection protocol are you using to connect your router to your modem? How do you have each computer configured?

tgynther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
MisterMe said:
Which connection protocol are you using to connect your router to your modem?

I don't know, what do you mean by protocol? I have just plugged rj-45 cable between the router and modem and it is working because Windows computer doesn't lose the connection at all, not even when mac loses connection.

I haven't touched to any configurations on Windows XP or Mac OS X. Both operating systems have default network settings.

At this morning I removed D-Link router and Windows computer from my network. PowerMac G5 is directly connected to ADSL modem with RJ45-cable but Mac still crashes when connection drops.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
You might want to check that your ethernet speed and duplex (half or full) match the router/modem settings. Sometimes the automatic setting doesn't get it right. If your settings don't match, you should be getting a lot of collisions, which normally can't happen in a switched ethernet configuration.

Otherwise, I would suspect the ethernet port on the Mac. Is there any way you can take the ethernet port out of the equation, e.g. WiFi on the Mac or USB from the ADSL modem?

tgynther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
daveL said:
You might want to check that your ethernet speed and duplex (half or full) match the router/modem settings. Sometimes the automatic setting doesn't get it right. If your settings don't match, you should be getting a lot of collisions, which normally can't happen in a switched ethernet configuration.

I have tried to change the settings for ethernet speed and duplex: 10/half, 10/full, 100/half and 100/full, but problem is still there. It occurs about 5-6 times in day.

daveL said:
Otherwise, I would suspect the ethernet port on the Mac. Is there any way you can take the ethernet port out of the equation, e.g. WiFi on the Mac or USB from the ADSL modem?

Is there any software which can detect the problems in ethernet port? I don't have a WiFi card or usb adsl modem...

Here is console log from last crash. I had a usb-memorystick attached to usb-port, when dsl-connection drops:

Nov 1 11:22:15 localhost kernel: USB Notification: The device "Hub in Apple Extended USB Keyboard" has caused an overcurrent condition. The port it is attached to has been disabled
Nov 1 11:22:42 localhost kernel: USBF: 15095.138 AppleUSBHubPort: Error 0xe00002ed: set feature (resetting port)
Nov 1 11:24:40 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is down.
Nov 1 11:25:02 localhost kernel: UniNEnet::monitorLinkStatus - Link is up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex

tgynther

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2003
fishtank22 said:
Hey. I have the SAME thing going on. except with the DLink Router. Did you ever resolve this? i'm almost positive its not the router b/c the other machines dont lose conneciton.

See more info on this in my post on apples site:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=532110&tstart=0

I send G5 to repair shop and they didn't found any hardware failures. Repairman plugged G5 to their own T1-Lan network because they don't have ADSL-line. No network drops occured.

After that I got my G5 back and everything worked well with my ADSL so I think this is some kind of misconfiguration problem (something has changed when G5 is plugged to another network, maybe) :confused:

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Maybe trying a different network cable would do the trick? I've run into all kinds of network problems due to a set of cheap cables that came with an equally cheap network switch; replacing them solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.