Problem with dying ibook g4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by moderniste, May 7, 2005.

1. moderniste macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my ibook.

About a month ago I put a new music cd in the disc drive but nothing happened. The cd didn't play and did not appear as an icon, so I couldn't eject it. I was too busy to do anything about it (on holiday) so I just let it be.

One day I tried turning the computer on and it froze on the intro screen. After a few tries, I got it to boot up but it would always freeze after a few minutes. Usually the screen freezes completely, but sometimes everything but the mouse cursor freezes.

None of the normal fixes for removing a cd worked. I took it to apple and they said the disc drive needed to be replaced, and that this had nothing to do with my previous logic board problems. They said it would cost about $500 to fix and my ibook is off warrenty. No way.

I went home and took the computer apart, hoping that if I took out the disc it would be ok. I did remove the disc, and other than being scratched, it was fine. (No raised surfaces or anything that would have caused it to snag.) Still, the problem wasn't fixed. I disconnected the disc drive, which seemed to give me a little more computer time before it freezes. (Previously, it would sometimes whir for a moment but never worked.)

The problem seems to be with overheating. I've actually found that if I put the computer in the fridge for a few minutes, it lasts longer.

I am assuming that this is not fixable and am waiting for the next ibooks to come out. However, if anyone has other ideas, let me know.

2. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

When did you purchase it?
    Is the warranty expired on it?

Also the specs may help.

3. moderniste thread starter macrumors member

I bought it in February 2004 and the warrenty's expired.

Machine Model: iBook G4
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 800 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 640 MB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.7.7f0