Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabass069

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
I have a mac mini. I have an external hard drive with a 7200 rpm maxter drive. I use this as my main OS X drive . I turn on the power of the external drive and then turn on the mac, it takes 2 or 3 times of rebooting the mac for it to recognize the external drive and then load up OS X Tiger. What is causing this? I have it set in the start-up to load from the external drive. Does the mac mini have a setting that it wants to load from the internal (very slow drive) first? Is it a problem with external drive? How can I solve this problem and have 0 problems starting the mac mini?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i'm guessing he's looking for the speed of the external (7200 vs 42 or 54)... i'm not sure how to fix the problem necessarily. i assume it's firewire?

how do you tell it which drive to boot up on? choosing the startup disk in sys prefs or by holding option when you boot?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
How long do you wait to boot up the Mac? The drive might take a few seconds to power up and get ready for use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.