Problem with external to ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by drater, Nov 20, 2005.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I recently purchased an external hard drive, and put all my music and videos on it. Changed the settings in iTunes so the music library on the external hard drive. Now, everytime I try to update the ipod iTunes freezes and won't update the ipod. Using iTunes with the external is fine, but everytime I plug in my ipod it just gives me the rainbow spinning thing when my cursor is over itunes and in the activity monitor it says that itunes is now responding. Anyone know what's the problem?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Are you running iTunes 6.0.1? Repaired permissions? Restarted? Restored iPod? etc etc

3. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

I am running the current version of itunes (6.0.1), I have restarted the machine several times to try to get it working. And it has worked once, when I first did it, its just the updating part that takes a while. Now, repaired permissions...I repaired them with the ibooks hard drive several times...any other suggestions?

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well since it happens when you connect your iPod, you could try restoring your iPod to the latest version.

5. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

which version is that, if you don't mind me asking a dumb question...and after i do that i will post and let you know how it goes.

6. drater thread starter macrumors 6502a

drater

still didn't work, anyone have any other suggestions? I really don't have enough room on my internal hard drive to put all my music and videos...:(