Problem with Finder - ejected disks icons hang around

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blodwyn, Jun 28, 2005.

1. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm running Tiger with the latest updates on my 12" G4 1.33GHz PB with 1.25Gb RAM. No problems for 1 year, or since upgrading to Tiger when it was released.

For the last couple of days, when I eject my thumb drive and/or a disk image and/or my external USB hard drive, the icon in the top part of the Finder sidebar doesn't disappear. If I click on the icon I get a message that the volume can't be found (reasonable). I've had a couple of other instances where an icon didn't appear after I mounted an image or plugged a disk in.

If I log into a clean user account and eject the drive, then Finder in both accounts correctly remove the icon in the sidebar. If I eject the drive from my main account then the icon stays in the sidebar in Finder in both accounts. If I mount or insert the drive again, it mounts OK.

If I quit Finder and restart it, then it restarts with the correct icons displayed. So far I've done the following...

Repaired permissions manually (Macaroni does it for me regularly as well)
    Zapped PRAM
    Quit Finder, opened up a Terminal window and deleted the com.apple.finder.plist, then restarted Finder

Apart from the Finder problem, the system runs normally.

Anyone have a an idea what might be going on and how to fix it?

Thanks

2. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

Bump - this is driving me nuts. I'm having to kill Finder and restart it every time I mount or unmount a disk image or external device. Anyone have any idea what I could do to try and fix or troubleshoot this? The PB otherwise runs fine so I'm reluctant to re-install Tiger.

Thanks

3. Studawg7 macrumors regular

i have a very similar issue in finder. i am running a fully updated panther on an ibook g4. I recently wrote a CD and the thing is still listed in finder! i dont know what happened b/c i ejected it properly when completed. i fixed permissions and still nothing. im not sure whats going on and i would like to have a fix to this issue.