Problem with FPS!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by G5Unit, Jul 24, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Ok. I was playing the halo demo and I get about 20-25 fps. This was in multiplayer. I also get smooth gameplay everywhere else in the game. Ad this is with all settings on max. But when I play BF 1942, I sometimes get like 2-5 fps. But that is only in some places. I have basically no difference in fps when playing BF. With everything on max, I get 30fps in one place and then it randomly goes down to 2fps. Even when I turn everything off and down, I still get around 5fps. What is going on? It has been like this from the beginning. What do I need from the hardware in my sig to be more powerful? I just want to be able to play BF 1942 with everything on max(maybe not shadows) and get like 30 to 60fps(where when I shoot it dosn't get all jumpy) I would also like to get a little better framerate in Halo. I will also probably be getting starwars battlefront, and I also want to be able to play that smoothly. I also work on photoshop and after effects alot so I want to be able to scroll through an entire composition and see most of the frames. I also only get around 18 fps in 1080i trailers. So is it CPU power? RAM? Graphics Card sucks, I know. I also play games at 1024by768 ans 1280by1024. Oh, and should I upgrade my hardrive?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

BF1942 runs like crap, basically. I don't know exactly why, but it does.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

But not to where it goes at 5fps?

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't own and have never played that game, but I'm sure a video card upgrade would improve the general graphics performance on your machine dramatically. Sorry I don't know much about current offerings, though.

5. v idioteque v macrumors newbie

well it looks like you're playing with an Nvidia Geforce 5200. I have actually played both halo and battlefield on my pc which has the same video card, and it sucks a bit. Make sure to lower the visual settings for the game (i.e. unit detail, shadows, resolution). The game won't be as pretty, but it will be much more smooth. I would also highly recommend getting a better video card (your profile says something about a 9800se....?). although that is a better card, avoid se's because they're like underclocked versions and are pretty sucky, unless it's for free. Just remember, playing video games on macs will be worse than if played on a pc. Even if you have the same graphic card, it's either the IBM processors, or the ports that are to blame.

Your hard drive will not affect the performance of games.

If you have some money for video cards, I can pick some out for you that are quite nice.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

probably best to get a better graphics card, that is what i believe is hindering your games (soon to be what is hindering mine as well :p)

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Even if I turn everything down even the res to 640by480 the game is practically the same! I have enough money to buy an X800XT(not of ATI.com) plus maybe tiger(edu). So it is not processor speed? My friend has a geforce fx 5500 with 128mb ram and bf works like a charm with all settings at max(or almost) and he runs them at 1024by768. He has a 3000+ amd with 1 gb of ram too. BF runs at around 30 sometimes 40fps. If I got and X800 or a 9800xt, would my games run better running at 1280by1024? This is with all settings maxed out. I just don't want to pay 400 dollars and get worse graphics then a 70 dollar fx 5500.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

is it a single or dual 1.8? part of it is the graphics card thats for sure. but adding anything can help (more ram for example)

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

It is a single 1.8. I made a huge mistake and payed for 2 512 sicks for 190 dollars! Now I have 2 512 and 2 128. Maybe I should take out the 2 128 and stick in 2 512 or 2 1gb(but I am not that rich) I just saved up money from report cards and presents.

10. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh I am about to get an X800XT. This will hopefully help.

11. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

dude just get playstation 2 and playstation 2 online

(i refuse to use xbox and xbox live)

12. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Will getting more ram speed up my compy? Or have I already reached its max speed with gaming?(Besides graphics card)