Problem with Griffin iMic

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CmdrLaForge, Sep 1, 2005.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I have some real problems with a new purchased Griffin iMic. When I record from any source like Sony MD player or my battery powered condensor mic I get really really very much noise. It is unusable. First I tought the iMic is defect so I went back to the store and exchanged it. New iMic has the same problems.

I have an iBook 1.42 and Tiger 10.4.2

Any idea's?

Cheers
    LaForge

2. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

sell it on ebay and buy the M-Audio fasttrack.
    You cna find one for a 100 bucks and it's much much
    better then the imic.

just my 2 cents. i did the same thing.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Have you tried switching the input switch between the jacks? It sounds like it's distorting from the high impedence sources, because it is set to accept low impedence sources. If you switch it to the side closest to the input jack, it should work fine.

4. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. Sure I tried that. I tried like every 4 options I have. If I switch the input switch it is really getting worse. I mean like completly unusable

Arrgghhh.

maybe someone else has an idea.

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Which app are you recording with?

6. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Doesn't matter, Garageband, Audacity nothing works

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Have you tried pulling down the input level in System Preferences?

8. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

here's a tip... go into Audio MIDI Setup in your applications/utilities folder. Click on the audio tab, and then select iMic to edit its properties. Check both the input and output options, where it should say something like "2CH-16bit"

I'm willing to bet that if you check that, for some reason it will say "2CH-8bit" instead of 16. There is some minor, strange, seemingly untraceable bug with the iMic or Mac OS X that the properties for the iMic interface (and apparently other non-powered, no-driver necessary audio interfaces) that will change to 8 bit when you open up any audio application. I finally stopped using it because I couldn't stop it from happening. You can change it back to 16 bit and the audio will then play back fine without noise, but the same thing will happen the next time you plug in the interface to use it.

9. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

You could always try lowering the input level from the source (i.e. turn down the volume on the MD, move further away from the mic, etc.), as i am pretty sure that the iMic will not handle high amplitude audio without distorting.

If you could post a soundfile somewhere it would really help with the diagnosis.

10. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks a lot for your feedback - everyone! - I will try that tonight and let you know.

Cheers
    LaForge

11. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

Hmmm... weird. I was about to come on here and post about how awesome the iMic is. It really does produce ultra-clear audio... for ME anyway! I can't see myself ever using the built-in Audio-Out.