Problem with HD

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TedKazear, Jan 11, 2004.

1. TedKazear macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    A 233.8 GB Maxtor HD devoted totally to media started giving me problems three weeks ago. Files in the directory would disapear one by one while I was trying to open them until, the hard drive itself unmounted. The apple store re-mounted the hardrive using disk warrior. Yesterday, basically the same symptons re-appeared. In disk utility I cannot verify the disk, "The underlying task reported failure on exit." Anybody out there have any comments. Thanks-a-bunch
  2. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2003
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    your strategic plan should include the purchase of a new drive and the copying of your data.

get yourself a copy of DiskWarrior to get your current drive back into shape to do that copy.

how mad will you be if you lose that data?
  4. TedKazear thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2004
    retreived data

ok. got back the data, stared it then erased the interanal 250g serial ata HD. If problem with corupt HD persists, "under waranty the issue will be resolved" applecare.
  5. BoyRacer macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2003
    Same error but on FireWire400 Device

I have a problem for which I would appreciate some feedback.

I have two new Western Digital WD Caviar 200 GB hard drives; I bought them to put in two firewire 400 external enclosures. Previosuly, I had a Western Digital 120 GB hard disks in each of these FireWire400 enclosures.

I cannot get the 200 GB hard disks to mount when installed in the firewire enclosures.

Steps I took:

- removed my 1GHz G4 Powermac's internal drives
    - installed the two 200 GB HDs in the G4
    - booted from Panther Install Disc 1, ran Disk Utility
    - the drives show up:I formatted them without ANY difficulty
    - put the G4 1GHz Powermac 200 GB HD in my external Firewire 400 enclosure
    - the 200 GB HD will not mount
    - it WILL show up in Disk Utility after a several minutes of scanning
    - running verify at this point results in this error:
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

I have no idea what could be wrong. Why would the drives show up when installed internally but not when installed in the firewire cases?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....check the jumpers on the drive - they need to be set to "master" to work in the firewire case.....oh yeah!