Problem with Jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacFan26, Jan 11, 2003.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

As much as I love Jaguar right now, I do have one problem. I haven't shut down my computer in a while because every time I turn it on, I find my system preferences reset. I'm running Jaguar on a PowerBook G3. My dock, desktop, and finder toolbars are set back to default, and also, my Safari and Chimera bookmarks are deleted, along with my preferences for those programs. If anyone has an idea as to what would cause this, advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this is just a guess. perhaps your logic board battery is dead? (or wherever that little battery is)

i'll poke holes in my own argument -- i would suspect that if your main battery is still good, or you're on wall power, those settings would remain.

good luck

3. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Maybe. I would also venture a guess that his preferences aren't being saved. Maybe you should try opening Disk Utility and running Repair Permissions. That might help. If not, it's probably the battery.

4. morlium macrumors regular

I would definitely check the permissions.
    They're the most common solution to annoying Jaguar bugs.

gl.

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

There's a couple of things I can think of all pointing to the same underlying problem: messed up permissions.

You could try to repair permissions from Disk Utility. If you've been messed around in the command line, you could have screwed up permissions. You may have to manually repair them in that case. You migh also check that the login you are using is properly setup in Accounts in the System prefs.

Another possible explanation is Jaguar's caching problem. This is not likely given that the Bookmarks aren't saving (though that could be a seperate problem, I suppose). You could try to empty the cache using a tool (check on versiontracker.com--search for 'cache' and 'Jaguar').

Hope this helps.

Taft

6. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Wow, I feel so stupid! I should have known to repair permissions, now everything is back to normal. Thanks so much for all your help.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Glad you've found a fix; however i had this problem but it was mainly with screen dimensions-- i like having my screen extend to the edge of it's area, not the shrunken version it ships with. Reparing permissions worked for me, but every 3rd restart or so it would happen again, and i'd be stuck repairing permissions *again*. i had to do a fsck and repair permissions at the same time to permanantly aleviate the problem. something to keep in mind if it happens again--

pnw