problem with keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TrenchMouth, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    so i got a new iBook today, which i am very excited about . so far everything has been great, but there is one nagging issue that is making me feel dumber by the minute because i can not fix it for the life of me.

it seems as though some universal shortcuts do not work. like command q, a, w, and s. when in the finder if i press command n it gives me a new smart folder. in safari if i push just command a (to select all) i get the activity window (which is not command a, but rather command control a)

am i retarded? please say yes. :confused:

edit: 10.4.2 btw
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    In the System Preferences, go to the Keyboard and Mouse section, then under Keyboard Shortcuts, there should be a Restore Defaults button. Click it and hopefully everything will be fine. If not, try repairing permissions from Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. :)
  3. TrenchMouth thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    i tried the restoring defaults option, but it didnt work, so i am going to go ahead and repair permissions now. i know it is not a keyboard problem, because certain commands work right in certain programs, but this problem is getting really annoying really fast.

edit: my comptuer seems to think that the alt/option button and the command button are connected. if i make a new shortcut in the keyboard pref pane and type command-q it shows that i have pushed command, option, q. it does this even if i use the command button on the other side of the space bar.

4. TrenchMouth thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002

so as it turns out, this was a hardware problem. my day old iBook had some sort of 1 in a million problem where the command and option keys were somehow linked. weird ****. well they just went ahead and replaced the whole machine, which was nice. as of right now all keys are go and the machine rocks.
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Sorry to hear that you happened to get a faulty machine; glad that you got a brand-spanking new, problem free iBook!

Thanks for updating the thread. :cool: Welcome to the Mac world!